When should I wean this calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

BARNSCOOP

Reaction score
I have a four month old calf whos dam I want to cull. Should I wait until he is 6 months old or just go ahead and cull her? In my area August is the best time for cull cows to sell.

If you think you'll get significantly more money now, you can pull him. Have you got some other calves to put the weaner with? He'll obviously be a lot happier if he's not alone.

We weaned a little early this year. Got two that were late heifers that sure could have stayed on their mama's longer, but we pulled 'em cause it was easier on us. They don't look as good right now as the older heifers, but they're eating fine and growing, so I feel like they'll catch up fine. No reason to think otherwise.

Go ahead and wean now. We have a pasture where we put any cull cows that have calves on them. They don't see a bull, and they are easy to access whenever we decide the market is right to sell the cows. Usually late July or early August. The calves are 4+ months old by then and they come home and go on good hay and grain. If they are fed right, they will grow pretty much as well as they would have on the cow.

Keep the cow until proper weaning time, then slaughter at home and sell in pieces.

BARNSCOOP":3683wnsd said:
I have a four month old calf whos dam I want to cull. Should I wait until he is 6 months old or just go ahead and cull her? In my area August is the best time for cull cows to sell.

If he knows what grain is, go ahead and pull him. He should do fine on grain/grass, or grain/good quality hay. If he doesn't know what grain is, and you've got some calves that do, put him in with them and they will teach him in a short time.

i have some 5 months old that i am about to sell, but i will leave the calves with the rest of the herd. they will lose some body fat but keep growing fine

msscamp":1v49z82x said:
BARNSCOOP":1v49z82x said:

If he knows what grain is, go ahead and pull him. He should do fine on grain/grass, or grain/good quality hay. If he doesn't know what grain is, and you've got some calves that do, put him in with them and they will teach him in a short time.
Good Advice !! :tiphat:

Latest posts