when its time to sell

Help Support CattleToday:

spurin1

Reaction score
i am wantin to start a small black angus breeding program. i am going to just start with 1 or 2 pair and work my way from there. right now we buy weaned steers and sell them privatly for beef when there grown.what i wanted to ask was when i breed would there be any benifit to buying registered cattle if im selling private and also if i did get into registered where is teh best place to sell them to make ur money back(either young to breeders/or to sell them for beef?)

if yourselling private i wouldn't worry about them being registered no real benefit. I would probably sell them young to breeders

spurin1":34dtfyyi said:
i am wantin to start a small black angus breeding program. i am going to just start with 1 or 2 pair and work my way from there. right now we buy weaned steers and sell them privatly for beef when there grown.what i wanted to ask was when i breed would there be any benifit to buying registered cattle if im selling private and also if i did get into registered where is teh best place to sell them to make ur money back(either young to breeders/or to sell them for beef?)

Dont raise registered cows with the intent of selling for beef. Registration cost and the slaughterhouse doesnt care. Usually you will get your best bang for the buck by selling registered bulls that fit into someones breading program. A large percentage of commercial producers couldnt care less if the bull or cow is actually registered or not.

3MR":2xsah3hi said:
spurin1":2xsah3hi said:

Dont raise registered cows with the intent of selling for beef. Registration cost and the slaughterhouse doesnt care. A large percentage of commercial producers couldnt care less if the bull or cow is actually registered or not.

Exactly!

msscamp":3t1u3gpe said:
3MR":3t1u3gpe said:
spurin1":3t1u3gpe said:

Dont raise registered cows with the intent of selling for beef. Registration cost and the slaughterhouse doesnt care. A large percentage of commercial producers couldnt care less if the bull or cow is actually registered or not.

Exactly!

Usually you will get your best bang for the buck by selling registered bulls that fit into someones breading program.

:eek: What, you dont agree with that statement as well. Im shocked :lol: :lol: ;-)

3MR":2v465wv3 said:
msscamp":2v465wv3 said:
3MR":2v465wv3 said:
spurin1":2v465wv3 said:

Exactly!

Usually you will get your best bang for the buck by selling registered bulls that fit into someones breading program.

:eek: What, you dont agree with that statement as well. Im shocked :lol: :lol: ;-)

It's not so much that I don't agree with the statement - registered bulls do generally bring a higher price via private treaty - as it is that selling 2 or more registered heifers/young cows via private treaty will surpass the price of one bull, and I just wasn't confident enough to get into that discussion.

msscamp":2cd2r0nd said:
3MR":2cd2r0nd said:
msscamp":2cd2r0nd said:
3MR":2cd2r0nd said:
spurin1":2cd2r0nd said:

Exactly!

It's not so much that I don't agree with the statement - registered bulls do generally bring a higher price via private treaty - as it is that selling 2 or more registered heifers/young cows via private treaty will surpass the price of one bull, and I just wasn't confident enough to get into that discussion.

No worries, I was just teasing you. :lol: :lol:

3MR":xrmye82r said:
msscamp":xrmye82r said:
msscamp":xrmye82r said:
spurin1":xrmye82r said:

Exactly!

No worries, I was just teasing you. :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I missed that. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just reading this board probably helps alot of ppl out,thanks for taking time to answer my question and all the others asked

spurin1":os8sugsw said:
just reading this board probably helps alot of ppl out,thanks for taking time to answer my question and all the others asked

This board has sure helped me alot! It also provides a lot of food for thought, and ideas/views/points that one may not think of on their own. I definitely consider this board one of my better resources for getting questions answered, as well as alternative ways of doing things.

Them papers can come in aweful handy at times? I keep mine in my glovebox in case I'm in the back field and have an urge. :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol: Other than this, having good stock is what is important. It doesn't matter what color or what pedigree or Dam or Sire you have if they are not GOOD QUALITY. Its kinda like having a REGISTERED GELDING ;-)

Latest posts