When is the best time to have spring calves hit the ground?

Help Support CattleToday:

BlueMax23

Reaction score
I operate a cow/calf operation in north central Arkansas. My question is, when is the best time to have spring calves hit the ground? Is January 08 too soon? This is the first time in the eight years of operating that I am holding the bull back, but he is starting to get ornery and knocked down gates twice in three weeks. He has been visiting the neighbor’s heifers which are several miles away.

We're running registered cattle now and calve in Jan/Feb. But if we were running commercial cattle, we'd calve Feb into March, trying to keep it to a 60 day calving season. Earlier born calves will be heavier if you're selling them in the fall. We have mostly native grass and it normally starts coming out in March, then the bermuda comes on in April/May. Feb-Mar calves are better able to utilize it than calves born in April or May. The cow milks heaviest about four months into lactation, so she gets the benefit of the "new" grass when she needs it most.

I understand about the bull, though. You need a stout fence to keep him away from the girls. Whatever works best for you in your conditions (weather, grass, etc.). Good luck....

BM we like to shoot for late Feb to early March.Seem's too be easyer on the cow's and calve's not to hot hopefuly not to cold but that is just the way we try to do it.

rattler

I just can’t resist this one!
RE:
My question is, when is the best time to have spring calves hit the ground?
In the spring! (just a little dry humor folks)

Blue,
I would cut him loose.
You are probably farther south then I am and your weather in Jan & Feb mostly comes off the gulf. If you get a report of cold wet weather coming at you out of the NW, just roll out some old hay (or straw) for them to bed down on and they should be fine.
SL

About 10:30 in the morning usually would be my best time but I digress :lol:

So much depends on your place. Do you have mud problems at certain times of year, do you have good wind protection, how far north/south are you.. I like calving in April, our grass doesn't realy start going good until May 1st (Although this year it started around April 1st a late frost knocked it all back and now it won't be ready May 1st :( ) We could calve in feb/march and have in the past but I am liking this later calving as our problems have been nill since calving started. No frozen ears or tails, more daylight to calf in, good weather for the most part, frisky calves... Its been about 100% better for my sanity after feb 06 calving in which all I did was warm up calves, pull calves, tube calves, not sleep....

Latest posts