When is terminal not terminal

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX":2sd9ib67 said:
randiliana":2sd9ib67 said:
However, many times the reason you don't want to buy "terminal" heifers is because the people that produced them were only paying attention to the growth and not necessarily to the milk or maternal side of things.

Why does someone who uses a "terminal" bull not spay and sell the heifers??

I think part of this has to do with the loss of gain that spaying causes, and the reluctance of a lot of people to implant the heifers to counteract it. Perhaps your vet is better at spaying, but around here, anyone spaying their heifers always loses a few to complications and that - quite understandably - makes them a bit reluctant to spay. Of course, I could also be wrong on all counts.

ONLY-BEEF":1u0140of said:
Mister cypressfarms I was a thinkin ya new better but it seems ta me ya aint got a clue. Ifen ya take yur self a bull that ya think will throw ya heifers a look like steers an steers looken like bulls that there is a terminal sire!! Ifen ya keep nar a one O them calves ya aint thinken straight and aint got yur self a future in cattlen a,tall. Yur gonna have cows that eat ya right offen the ranch! I aint tryen ta knock ya down but get yur self some learnen before its too late fur ya!

Uh....Yeah, I need some learnin.. :roll:

I started this post to see if people's opinions were similar to mine, in that breeds have advanced to the point to where bulls once thought only good for growth have good maternal traits now as well. There are also (angus) bulls now available that are to the point of being too growthy. The old term "terminal" has less meaning now. If you have the grass, and don't mind a general increase in cow size, it seems that there are many bulls that offer good maternal traits as well as growth.

cypressfarms":1ud5b6yi said:
I started this post to see if people's opinions were similar to mine, in that breeds have advanced to the point to where bulls once thought only good for growth have good maternal traits now as well. There are also (angus) bulls now available that are to the point of being too growthy. The old term "terminal" has less meaning now. If you have the grass, and don't mind a general increase in cow size, it seems that there are many bulls that offer good maternal traits as well as growth.

Wow! sounds to me like Angus has become the perfect breed of cattle! If you use an Angus bull you only need the one. He will produce your best replacement heifers and throw calves that gain like like a terminal sires would!!

I have got to get me some Angus bulls ASAP!!!! ;-)

a few years ago there was a man around here that had a herd of reg. herefords and his neighbor had a commercial herd and reg. angus bull.. well the angus was bad too jump the fence to the herfs they had trouble. then the herfs popularity dropped the man jokingly told me later he might cut the fence to let the angus come in just so he could make a little money. all the baldy calves would go to market and get their heads wacked off. now is that not as terminal as it gets

S.R.R.":1r61cfvi said:
Wow! sounds to me like Angus has become the perfect breed of cattle! If you use an Angus bull you only need the one. He will produce your best replacement heifers and throw calves that gain like like a terminal sires would!!

Good one SRR. :)

But when I see angus bulls with ww of +62 and YW of +114, with low milk values and low scrotals - kind of makes you wonder.

cypressfarms":rp57eqdi said:
S.R.R.":rp57eqdi said:

But when I see angus bulls with ww of +62 and YW of +114, with low milk values and low scrotals - kind of makes you wonder.
the problem with that is why was he kept a bull in the first place

cypressfarms":3sziogg6 said:
S.R.R.":3sziogg6 said:

Yes it does make a person wonder?? But no harm in that.

I feel that if you use the same bull to do the job of producing good replacement heifers and also producing your slaughter cattle then you are riding the fence and are not getting what you could off ether side.

ALACOWMAN":1v47irmn said:
cypressfarms":1v47irmn said:
S.R.R.":1v47irmn said:

the problem with that is why was he kept a bull in the first place

To be used as a terminal bull.

In the past we used Angus bulls as teminal bulls, heavy weight and poor maternal. Gave us black calves and still had the weight.
Within every breed there are both terminal nad maternal bulls, even Blondes. If there wasn;t there wouldn't be registered cattle to perpetuate the breed.

dun

aplusmnt":32nrdev2 said:
ONLY-BEEF":32nrdev2 said:
Mister cypressfarms I was a thinkin ya new better but it seems ta me ya aint got a clue. Ifen ya take yur self a bull that ya think will throw ya heifers a look like steers an steers looken like bulls that there is a terminal sire!! Ifen ya keep nar a one O them calves ya aint thinken straight and aint got yur self a future in cattlen a,tall. Yur gonna have cows that eat ya right offen the ranch! I aint tryen ta knock ya down but get yur self some learnen before its too late fur ya!

I didn't realize that a Terminal bull throws heifers that looked like steers and steers that look like bulls. Thought it was more to do with pounds not phenotype.

I wish my bull would throw me some steers that looked like bulls. Guess my Bull is a dud, he only throws Bull calves and Heifers.

Sorry to hear about your bull aplusmnt!