When is Beef a Product of the USA

Help Support CattleToday:

Biggest BMW auto manufacturing facility in the world is in Spartanburg, SC, USA. Engines and other parts are flown in from Germany to the nearby GSP international airport. 1500 cars per day produced there by 11,000 US employees and 70% of the cars exported - with a lot going to China. Goes against the model of a lot of global manufacturers, doesn't it?

But, would you call these cars "Product of the USA" given that the engines and other major parts were not made here? Obviously beef is simpler than that. When the calf is born here, fed here and processed here, it is a product of the USA. Even if slaughtered in a Brazilian owned facility by imported workers. If the calves come from Mexico or Canada and fed here and slaughtered here, it is not as clear what label they should get. I think a person could make a valid argument either way and feel that their conclusion is the right one - for them.
How can you compare the 2? When vehicles have a thousands of parts and cattle very few. Its would be hard pressed to get vehicle 100% american made nowadays. But cattle are different story.

How can you compare the 2? When vehicles have a thousands of parts and cattle very few. Its would be hard pressed to get vehicle 100% american made nowadays. But cattle are different story.
That's why I said "Obviously beef is simpler than that". There was also another point in my post. That an expensive German manufacturer would build their largest plant in the US, staff it with native born non-union southern people, and EXPORT 70% of those cars with many of them going to CHINA. While US manufacturers shut down domestic facilities, manufacture in CHINA and export to the US. Sometimes I get carried away and weave in another topic. Sorry for the confusion.:)
Extra topic - I also read that some people take their cattle to US dis-assembly processors and end up not getting all the parts, like livers and hides. And suspect they may have lost some burger.

That's why I said "Obviously beef is simpler than that". There was also another point in my post. That an expensive German manufacturer would build their largest plant in the US, staff it with native born non-union southern people, and EXPORT 70% of those cars with many of them going to CHINA. While US manufacturers shut down domestic facilities, manufacture in CHINA and export to the US. Sometimes I get carried away and weave in another topic. Sorry for the confusion.:)
Extra topic - I also read that some people take their cattle to US dis-assembly processors and end up not getting all the parts, like livers and hides. And suspect they may have lost some burger.
Heck, that happens with some local processors!🤨

I think that if all imported animals had to be branded and implanted that would be fine. But that is a lot of work that the importer would never go for.
It would be fine, but there's an angle to this that most producers don't consider.

Mexico and Canada are the 4th and 5th largest buyers of our beef. We can't impose restrictions on their beef without expecting them to do the same to us. If it hurts our own export market, it's probably not worth it.

Goods are a product of the country in which they last underwent a substantial transformation. So if you fiddled with it last it's yours.
I think if Canada imports a steer from the US, feeds and processes the steer, and contaminates it with listeria we should not be calling that beef a product of the USA.

Silver, I expect more out of you than to apply a one animal example to the national identification of a country's production.
Suppose we work on a solution that can benefit both of us?
I like mine medium rare, sliced rather thin and cooked fast. Almost crispy on the outside and the inside a bit like a branding iron fire taste.
You may not but that does not make either of us totally wrong, unless you use ketchup!

Latest posts