When I was a kid, I would....

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Mitchwi's "Snow and Kid's" prompted this...
Remember Tarzan and Superman (The old one)?
Well I grew up in a small desert town... We had no trees to swing from or tall building to leap over in a single bound.. (The highest structure in our town was the tower that they hung fire hoses from.), let alone snow covered roofs to slide down.
So the best that I could do was to climb up on our roof and and leap to the clothes line and swing from the cross bar...
We spent a lot of time out Lizard hunting... Coming home after a long day with our trophies and a heck of a sunburn.
And playing "Home Run Derby" with my buddy... Rounding up all of our hardballs each day, pitching to each other at the local ball diamond, and together running out to gather up all of the balls after each batting and before switching positions.
It was a simple but great way to grow up as a kid....

That sounds Idealic, but have you suffered since from the sunburned skin????? as the warnings are now to wear all different factors for day time sun.

chrisy":3i0m0jnd said:
That sounds Idealic, but have you suffered since from the sunburned skin????? as the warnings are now to wear all different factors for day time sun.
I still have a scar on my wrist from the laceration I recieved from one of the wires on the clothes line I swung from...
I have age spots all over my body...
My eyesight isn't that good and my hearing is awful (Or so says my wife)...
But ya know I can still run up and down a high school basketball court refereeing the game...
Only these days, I don't see many calls that I would question later... I hardly ever hear the players, coaches, and/or fans yell at me... I go home every night "thinking" that I called another great game!
To be honest though, sometimes I will hear someone yell at me, but ya know with the onset of Ahlziemers, I'll forget about it five minutes later!
But to answer your question Chrisy... No I haven't had any side affects from those days of fun in the sun or eating the ducks and geese I shot off of the sewage ponds.. That's not to say that it won't hit me sometime in the future... But for now the skin is good and my stomach is like that of a dog... I have a cold nose and I am a happy camper..

I only aked as I used to play on the beach all day as a kid and get scorched, I have no ill effects, we used to catch eels from the sewers and clean and cook them and have no ill effects also. So was just wondering has the sun changed since we were nippers.? can't see that it has got any hotter myself, are we over protective of our children now????

chrisy":33a33dav said:
I only aked as I used to play on the beach all day as a kid and get scorched, I have no ill effects, we used to catch eels from the sewers and clean and cook them and have no ill effects also. So was just wondering has the sun changed since we were nippers.? can't see that it has got any hotter myself, are we over protective of our children now????

If you take the word of the global warming alarmist even they say that the earth has only warmed 1/2 of a degree in the last one hundred years. I would think that the fraction of a degree over the last 25 to 50 years wouldn't make any difference on the skin problems. At least I have noticed no difference.

I think one of the craziest (stupid) things I did as a kid was think... I bet this will be a blast! And it was (eventually).

Old barn with a drive up hay mound... opposite of drive up door is another door, used to throw bales out of. Add a Yamaha 100YZ and a 12 yr old girl (me). I was able to only grab 3rd gear by the time I shot out the other side. I did not figure any type of air time and length and speed into any sort of equation. Needless to say the landing was a bit harsh, and I would of gained control if I had a bit more distance until the embankment.

A couple of weeks later, my dad was quite impressed when he came in off the road. Until by the end of the summer and I needed some suspension upgrades... :D

Michele

I kinda of miss saturday morning cartoons. Now its 24/7 cartoons.

Walt

I miss Saturday morning pictues (Movies) going to the local flea pit as we called it and watching some B rated Cowboy Movie with my Brothers, and a few cartoons, having Ice cream and a soda pop, did you have things like that. Kids only Mum used to drop us off and pick us up, great fun.

chrisy":24c84zlj said:
I miss Saturday morning pictues (Movies) going to the local flea pit as we called it and watching some B rated Cowboy Movie with my Brothers, and a few cartoons, having Ice cream and a soda pop, did you have things like that. Kids only Mum used to drop us off and pick us up, great fun.
We would go door to door handing out flyers on the latest films being shown to get free passes to the matinees...
Speaking of fleas.... Do you have any flea markets over there Chrisy?

chrisy":n5lakqph said:
We would go door to door handing out flyers on the latest films being shown to get free passes to the matinees...
Speaking of fleas.... Do you have any flea markets over there Chrisy?

chrisy":2sdvmh2a said:
I only aked as I used to play on the beach all day as a kid and get scorched, I have no ill effects. So was just wondering has the sun changed since we were nippers.? can't see that it has got any hotter myself, are we over protective of our children now????

The effects of the sun are cumulative, as I'm sure you know. My mother is a fair-skinned, blue-eyed, brown haired woman who married a rancher and proceeded to spend many hours in the sun fixing fence, working cattle, farming, raking hay, etc. A year ago or so, at the age of 65 or thereabouts, she developed pre-cancerous lesions on her arms due to sun-damage. Fortunately, her doctor was able to treat them and they are now gone - at least as far as we know. My father is medium-skinned, dark haired, blue-eyed, and spent 50+ years farming, and ranching. Last year, at the age of 74, he had somewhere around 28-30 moles removed - several of which were cancerous, but had not spread yet. I am 48, brown-haired, blue-eyed, and somewhere between fair-skinned and medium-skinned. Growing up the effects of the sun had yet to be discovered, and I spent a lot of time on horseback, fixing fence, working cattle, and running around in tank tops, halter tops, and I got sunburned more times than I can count - occasionally resulting in blisters. The last time I went to my osteopath, an intern was accompanying (sp?) my doctor as he was seeing patients. During the course of the visit, they looked at my back, and shoulders and I heard the intern ask my osteopath if I had KS. My doctor responded, "No, that is just sun-destroyed skin." So, in answer to your question - No, I don't think we are being overly protective of our children when it comes to exposure to the sun. If memory serves, you are blonde, are you not? Most blondes have fair skin, so you may not have any ill effects right now, but wait a few years and see what happens. I'm sorry to rain on your parade.

JC we have lots of flea markets here, there is one in nearly every Town you go, there are the big Famous one's in London Notting Hill, Camden, Portobello Road, Greenwich, Petticoat Lane.and Brick Lane. most are on a Sunday. but there are to many to mention, I like to browse around on a nice warm Sunday morning, I go to Greenwhich Market the most, it has new and old wares + a good crafts market and nice resturants and coffee bars. Do you like to go to flea markets??

msscamp...your are right I am blonde and fair skinned, I do use quite a high factor now, but it was as kids we never used to have such things as Sun Screens, I remember my Mum making some concoction but it didn't work like the one's we buy now. was just thinking do we use it to much, are we just linning the pockets of the big companies that produce it? or have we become more aware of Cancer and the dangers that it holds? as time has gone on.

chrisy":zhnm04k4 said:
JC we have lots of flea markets here, there is one in nearly every Town you go, there are the big Famous one's in London Notting Hill, Camden, Portobello Road, Greenwich, Petticoat Lane.and Brick Lane. most are on a Sunday. but there are to many to mention, I like to browse around on a nice warm Sunday morning, I go to Greenwhich Market the most, it has new and old wares + a good crafts market and nice resturants and coffee bars. Do you like to go to flea markets??

msscamp...your are right I am blonde and fair skinned, I do use quite a high factor now, but it was as kids we never used to have such things as Sun Screens, I remember my Mum making some concoction but it didn't work like the one's we buy now. was just thinking do we use it to much, are we just linning the pockets of the big companies that produce it? or have we become more aware of Cancer and the dangers that it holds? as time has gone on.
I love Flea Markets... In the old days they seemed to always be filled with garage type treasures.... Somewhere along the line, they changed to Swap Meets and with then came the commercial aspects... Some of the finer Flea Market are totally comercial these days and I have kind of transitioned to Garage and Yard Sales...
As for sun screens, I use them these days when I am out fishing.... Not because of the cancer issues... But more becasue I simply don't want to deal with the pain of a sunburn...
I have had a few crusty patches form on my forearms and the back of my hands... But a dab of liquid nitrogen here and a dab there has taken care of that... I'll probably die from liquid nitrogen poisoning... :D

When I was a kid, I never wore shoes all summer. Not to the store, not to the dr's. I had a fit when Mom made me wear them to church or when we went to Fort Worth. Felt like your feet were going to burst confined in shoes.

We liked to go to the football field and play in the sprinklers when they watered the field. We also liked to get our bow and arrow, shoot an arrow straight in the air as hard as we could, and then stand there and wait to see where it would land. Had one land right in front of my foot once. I don't remember thinking it was dangerous at all.

I have never been all the way right in the head, though. :shock: :idea:

Oh the days of yesteryear.

As kids, we thought it was great fun to have corncob battles. We'd build forts in the hayloft out of bales, gather up a 5 gallon bucket full of the ripest cobs we could find,(you know the ones that had been marinating in cowflop for a month or so), and the war was on. Took a header out of the loft on more than one occasion, never hurtin nothing but my pride. Heck, if I step wrong now, I might break a hip! :shock:

warpaint":2h5mktp3 said:
Oh the days of yesteryear.

As kids, we thought it was great fun to have corncob battles. We'd build forts in the hayloft out of bales, gather up a 5 gallon bucket full of the ripest cobs we could find,(you know the ones that had been marinating in cowflop for a month or so), and the war was on. Took a header out of the loft on more than one occasion, never hurtin nothing but my pride. Heck, if I step wrong now, I might break a hip! :shock:

Ah, the good old days! Nothing better than a Sunday afternoon corncob fight. Been a while since I have seen any corncobs around a barn.

When I was very small I hung around with my grandpa as much as he would let me. Looking back on it he had the patience of Job. I don't know how he put up with me being underfoot all the time.
What I liked best was riding with him in the wagon. When he would let me hold the reins it was real hard for me to be patient. I always wanted to shake the reins and go faster.

Just Curious":22sxcaj8 said:
chrisy":22sxcaj8 said:

I love Flea Markets... In the old days they seemed to always be filled with garage type treasures.... Somewhere along the line, they changed to Swap Meets and with then came the commercial aspects... Some of the finer Flea Market are totally comercial these days and I have kind of transitioned to Garage and Yard Sales...
As for sun screens, I use them these days when I am out fishing.... Not because of the cancer issues... But more becasue I simply don't want to deal with the pain of a sunburn...
I have had a few crusty patches form on my forearms and the back of my hands... But a dab of liquid nitrogen here and a dab there has taken care of that... I'll probably die from liquid nitrogen poisoning... :D

we have the dreaded 'Boot Sale' I think you would like, a Farmer gives up a part of a filed that is laying fallow, to a group of people with their cars, and they sell out of the Boot of their car (Trunk). it is a bit like a Yard Sale but on a bigger scale, if you crave looking for junk this is the best place to go. My Husband loves them is up at the crack of dawn to go and I wish he woudn't bring back all the things he does.

Another thing we did as kids was go "gravelin".

We would wade down creeks, sticking our hands under the bank, and pull out whatever we latched onto, be it the fish we were hoping for, turtle, or my least favorite, a snake.

There aint enough gold in Ft. Knox to make me attempt this as an adult. As kids, we were indestructable and thought we would live forever. Kind of sad really, that we have to grow up and realize, we are only human. ;-)

As a kid I used to go to the Cole theater in down town Hallettsville just off the square and watch a double feature shoot-em-up with a "serial" (Buck Rogers, I think) and usually two or sometimes three cartoons, all for a quarter.

After leaving the "picture show" I would head off to the drug store for a real malt (malted milk for some of you) and then try to dodge Granddad who always looking to take me to the barber shop, or at least he tried.

The Cole theater is still there after many years but gone are the two drug stores and three barber shops and God forbid if you went to the Sonic on the outskirts of town and asked for a malt!

I have trouble with my skin. I've had numerous "pre-cancer" spots removed and I am resigned to passing on from one of these maladys. I am fair skinned, blue eyed and my hair used to be Blonde. There is no question that I am a prime candidate for Melanoma. I usually wear long sleeved shirts when working outside and I almost always wear a beat up old "cowboy" hat to keep the sun off my face.

Latest posts