When Good Cows Go BAD!

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
We were delivering square bales yesterday, with some less than efficient hired help. Headed out to a friend's farm a few miles from here with a 300 bale load. Last thing I asked one of the boys was,"you did lock that cut gate to the barn?" Oh yeah,"You think I'd forget that?"
As luck would have it about 5:30 A.M I had a whole herd in the barn, from a section that is behind my main hay barn.Talk about total Havoc. They got in and ate/destroyed at least 100 bales, 500 lbs. of calf starter, 100lbs. of shelled corn, and 100 lbs. of 18% kid starter.
Knocked over a roll away tool chest,Squirted a stream of you know what all over the air compressor, and crushed at least 3 tool boxes, full of tools, that were on a pallet.Knocked over a steel shelf, that was full of cases of tube grease and gallons of Rotella.
Hope your Monday went better than mine... I think these cattle had a party all last night.Needless to say, I took the afternoon off to do damage control. Moral to this story is always remember if you want something done right, do it yourself. And #2 save Sunday as a day of rest. Like we're supposed to do.(Problem is Farming and Ranching is a 24-7-365 job.) Lord forgive me!

crowder,

LOL Buddy I have been there. Sounds like a mess.

What I want to know, is what did you say to the "help"

ouch!!

MD

I had them break into a hay stack when I was feeding out of another one on the other side of the farm. About a week before I discovered they were into it. What a mess.

Had a bunch of black calves break out and wonder around sampling every hay stack. Ate just enough from each one that the stacks collapsed. So calves being calves the bedded on some and used the others as toilets.
Today I laugh, didn;t see much humor in it at the time.

dun

Must have been one of those weekends. I went to check cattle saturday afternoon, to discover the girls had wrecked one side of the creep feeder and cleaned out a 3 ton feeder that was filled on Thursday. Now I can say it didn't pay to creep feed this year. Crowder, hope you got Mr. "I got the gate" over to help clean up the mess!?!

I hope it was lots and lots of cows if they ate 6000lbs of feed over the weekend or your expense is just now starting.

that gate thing will get you every time! I am the worst for thinking I got the gate closed, or thinking I will be right back and close it then. One winter I fed, then went to town with the boys on snowmobiles (had alot of snow the day before), Mrs gets home from work to see over 200 head of heifers in the fields. She had 6 neighbors helping, and almost as many vehicles stuck by the time she got them all back in. I sold the snowmobile a few weeks later. She now gives me the "why don't you humor me and go check the gate" thing.

Ours never get past the front yard which usually needs mowing and is dew claw high....they don't bother Susie's roses (she has 70 some odd bushes) but have visited the front and back porches. I get the gate again comments and handed the fork with a point to the yard. DMc

redfornow":rl5obtlt said:
crowder,

LOL Buddy I have been there. Sounds like a mess.

What I want to know, is what did you say to the "help"

ouch!!

MD
The "help" in the middle of unloading the 300 bale trailer, with my help,suddenly got overheated. Was cutting Tobacco, earlier and complained all he had eaten was a Twinkie all day.We always have dinner for hired hands.Said he was not hungry. Guess thats why the pin wasn't in the cut gate. No food no thinking. He'll be here again next weekend, that's when he'll be "Enlightened" I may put him on rock detail for punishment. ;-)

hmmm cows gittin where they dont belong...when we were building our house. I'd come out here to do some work one afternoon , we had all the walls done, textured, painted, lookin nice n almost ready to move in (but thankfully no carpet layed yet)
Well our front door on the house didnt have a door knob on it yet..we usually just pushed it shut. it's humid enuff here that it was always tight when shut. Well apparently not tight enuff.....that evening we'd decided to run into town to the grocery store. Came back and I sent the oldest, at that time maybe 9 or 10, out to the house to get a hammer or something. Dont recall what it was. He come back to the house n said...mama...the cows got in the house..n it's BADDDDD. I looked at him n said..no way......he just shook his head n said..go look. So I "go look" oh my stars....I opened the front door and my white walls were painted green the floor was covered throughout the house with, 3 wheel barrow's full, of the green stuff. I stood there at the door...n started to laugh...because if I hadnt' I would have cried. We spent half the night tryin to clean up the biggest part of the mess....
Guess they'd pushed their way into the house through the front door..then managed to get it pushed back shut..because they exited out one of my kitchen windows that thankfully was open, and didnt break the window just knocked the screen off and had bent it up.The place looked like they'd done the round n round race that kids do thru the house. We laugh about it now, but man what a mess that was.

Isn't it strange that if you leave a 16 ft gate open that you want the cows to go through they won't go near it but if there's a 1 ft opening between a rock and a hard place they will fight to get through it to someplace you DON'T want them to be?

Ah yes, the age old questions, "Did you close the gate? or did you close the feed room door?" About a month ago my son was asked that question, "Did you close the gate?" Of course I got the tipical aggitated smart a** teenage answer, "Yes" accompanied by that, "you idiot" look that comes with it. About 15 minutes later I hear the sound of thundering happy hoofs of the cows from the back lot. You should have seen the look on his face to see them scattered over a 60 acre lot of fresh grass. I got my folding chair out of the feed room opened a cold bottle of water and sat down. He say's, "ain't you mad?" I said, "nah, just let me know when you get'em back up to the back lot." After about an hour of chasing them around he finally got the last one back where it belonged. I said, " it would have been a lot easier to close the gate huh?" I don't even have to ask anymore. :lol:

Chuckie":3cz1ieyc said:
Crowder Farms, sounds like you had nothing short of a cattle gang. I heard they are very destructive and use only green paint.
If I could scrape off the "you know what" and put it on a canvas, I'd probably be a world renowned painter. I forgot about the Soybean meal they ate, added that special texture, at 41% Protein... and technicolor.

Latest posts