When do horns sprout?

Help Support CattleToday:

FLJoe

Reaction score
My Beefmaster cow just calved this morning. She is polled, the sire is not. I plan on registering the bull calf soon because I will be selling him & perhaps his dam (see next post). I have the option of lisiting the calve as polled on the papers. When should the buds appear if they do?

FLJoe":11hgzhx2 said:
My Beefmaster cow just calved this morning. She is polled, the sire is not. I plan on registering the bull calf soon because I will be selling him & perhaps his dam (see next post). I have the option of lisiting the calve as polled on the papers. When should the buds appear if they do?

If the calf is horned, you'll be able to feel the hornbuds by the time the calf is a week old -- 2 weeks at the very latest.

Ann B

You should be able to tell if he's going to have horns within the first few weeks after the calf is born.

I'm surprised you can register the calf that early.. ASA requires weaning weights for registration.

The BBU does not require weights for registration unless you enroll them in their weights and measurements program.

TheBullLady":2q56oche said:
You should be able to tell if he's going to have horns within the first few weeks after the calf is born.

I'm surprised you can register the calf that early.. ASA requires weaning weights for registration.

You can register a calf with the ASA as soon as they are born. They will send you a worksheet to send them the weaning weights and yearling weights to get the Epds.

i can feel them usually the first day.i have a horned bull and about 50% get dehorned. but by the first week they are very evident. you won't see them for a while about a month or two.

Latest posts