when did joel salatin become the editor of the stockman grass farmer?

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
haven't got a issue of that since around 2010. noticed he's now the editor. did Al sell it to him or retire?

If I had a subscription, (which I don't), I'd cancel it. Salatin is one of the biggest quacks I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

cfpinz":1j9c6jxh said:
If I had a subscription, (which I don't), I'd cancel it. Salatin is one of the biggest quacks I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

Could you explain your statement further?

kickinbull":3hu6vzwj said:
cfpinz":3hu6vzwj said:

Salatin is a salesman. He makes his living selling pipe dreams to folks who have no business farming, not by actual farming. His labor force is made largely of unpaid interns. I have friends who live in his area and I've heard instances of his animals being extremely malnourished.

Basically, when someone makes my skin crawl - there's a d*mn good reason.

cfpinz":unra292l said:
kickinbull":unra292l said:
cfpinz":unra292l said:

Salatin is a salesman. He makes his living selling pipe dreams to folks who have no business farming, not by actual farming. His labor force is made largely of unpaid interns. I have friends who live in his area and I've heard instances of his animals being extremely malnourished.

yea most of that is BS but I have gotten some decent ideas of some things he's done. I liked reading Al Ob's.. I thought they were pretty good.

cfpinz":39c11kqe said:
kickinbull":39c11kqe said:
cfpinz":39c11kqe said:

In recent years, we've had some new neighbors move in, I'm sure you know the kind.............. city folk, yuppy-ish,foody, etc. want to move to the country............. some of them have apparently read about Salatin. They have asked if I have ever heard of him "yes, I have" and want to know why I don't implement everything that he does and how he does it. Usually I kindly tell them, well I don't happen to have lots of volunteer help in the form of "interns", nor do I have the time or the $$$$$$ to do everything his way.

Before anyone gets their fruit-of-the-looms in a wad, I'm not saying that he hasn't got any good ideas or interesting methods.

Workinonit Farm":3j29cepk said:
cfpinz":3j29cepk said:
kickinbull":3j29cepk said:

In recent years, we've had some new neighbors move in, I'm sure you know the kind.............. city folk, yuppy-ish,foody, etc. want to move to the country............. some of them have apparently read about Salatin. They have asked if I have ever heard of him "yes, I have" and want to know why I don't implement everything that he does and how he does it. Usually I kindly tell them, well I don't happen to have lots of volunteer help in the form of "interns", nor do I have the time or the $$$$$$ to do everything his way.

Before anyone gets their fruit-of-the-looms in a wad, I'm not saying that he hasn't got any good ideas or interesting methods.

you'll go broke listening to him or greg judy. I like some of their ideas.. but man.. some of it is crazy.. don't hay.. don't own a tractor.. never seed any ground.. let hogs on your pastures, etc..etc..

ddd75":1tdyaeg8 said:
don't hay....

Interesting to hear you say that. A friend of mine local to his area has seen animals literally starve to death in his fields.

Workinonit Farm":63g2idb1 said:
In recent years, we've had some new neighbors move in, I'm sure you know the kind.............. city folk, yuppy-ish,foody, etc. want to move to the country............. some of them have apparently read about Salatin.

I know exactly the kind you're talking about, those are the ones he makes his living off of. They're convinced they're going to make a living farming with 5 acres, 2 dozen chickens and a goat.

cfpinz":2x7v07u5 said:
Workinonit Farm":2x7v07u5 said:
In recent years, we've had some new neighbors move in, I'm sure you know the kind.............. city folk, yuppy-ish,foody, etc. want to move to the country............. some of them have apparently read about Salatin.

I know exactly the kind you're talking about, those are the ones he makes his living off of. They're convinced they're going to make a living farming with 5 acres, 2 dozen chickens and a goat.
You mean I gotta get a goat?

cfpinz":miwwbg2y said:
Workinonit Farm":miwwbg2y said:

Back when I was working at the conservation district we constantly had to deal with those type of people. They were certain that Salatin's word was the gospel. Nothing that could be said would change their minds. I got to watch more than one train wreck.

I saw the title of this and all I could think of was Joel Osteen, and I'm thinking "Why would that preacher guy be writing for an ag magazine?"

Bestoutwest":bkgz16ja said:
I saw the title of this and all I could think of was Joel Osteen, and I'm thinking "Why would that preacher guy be writing for an ag magazine?"
That boy has a nice house...

joel-osteen-house.jpg

Dave":2hcyvhkp said:
Back when I was working at the conservation district we constantly had to deal with those type of people. They were certain that Salatin's word was the gospel. Nothing that could be said would change their minds. I got to watch more than one train wreck.

And that has made it difficult, at times. They believe it to be "the only way" to raise cattle, hogs, whatever. As a result of that, when you try to explain that there are different ways, for different reasons, for different situations, they give you the deer-in-the-headlights look, and then look at you and talk 'at' you like you were born yesterday, because they are now convinced, that you really are just a dumb farmer, redneck-hillybilly, uneducated, hick who needs to be taught the "right" way and will start espousing how "farming" and agriculture are ruining our planet, etc and that Salatin's ways are sustainable......blah, blah, blah.

Workinonit Farm":1vdjo4h9 said:
Dave":1vdjo4h9 said:

And that has made it difficult, at times. They believe it to be "the only way" to raise cattle, hogs, whatever. As a result of that, when you try to explain that there are different ways, for different reasons, for different situations, they give you the deer-in-the-headlights look, and then look at you and talk 'at' you like you were born yesterday, because they are now convinced, that you really are just a dumb farmer, redneck-hillybilly, uneducated, hick who needs to be taught the "right" way and will start espousing how "farming" and agriculture are ruining our planet, etc and that Salatin's ways are sustainable......blah, blah, blah.

You can't fix stupid.

HDRider":2prpg5mz said:
cfpinz":2prpg5mz said:
Workinonit Farm":2prpg5mz said:

You mean I gotta get a goat?

Yep, but that's the bare minimum, preferably several, and then one of them high $$$$ LGDs...no 'ordinary' dog will work.. (In all my years of having and being around livestock, and being around those who do, I've never actually face to face met a single person that admitted having one of those 'LGDs'. Not one. I guess I've just been traveling in the wrong circles)

I done figured that whole LGD thing out tho. Your LGD runs the predators off your property on to our neighbor's property to harass and kill his goats, chickens and lambies, and his LGD runs them off on to his neighbors place, and that neighbor's LGD runs them off onto his neighbor's place, and that neighbor's LGD runs them off back on to your place and the cycle starts all over again. So much simpler than a bullet between the eyes..:roll: which of course, is unfair/Un-American economics anyway, because bullets are way cheaper than a high $$ Pyr, and using that 20 cent bullet is tantamount to stealing because it is taking $$ directly out of the Pyr breeder's pocket. Me and my neighbors are all crooks I suppose, because we just believe in feeding the buzzards with dead carcasses of coyotes, and sometimes maybe perhaps shooting the buzzards when they come for the coyotes...
:hide:

Latest posts