When can I justify owning a bull??

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Please prepare yourself for a complicated and most likely over overthought question…

I currently have 12 head. 5 feeder steers that will be processed next summer, 1 cow w/ steer calf at side, 4 heifers, and currently "renting" a bull.

I say "renting" because to be quite honest, I'm falling in love with this bull. He's purebred angus, smaller framed, SUPER gentle, and doesn't make a peep (I love a quiet group of easy to work cattle). He loads in the trailer no problem, just an easy guy to be around.

I have him on an agreement for 2 months, but he is also for sale… He is turned out with my cow and 2 heifers. The other 2 heifers are too young to be bred so they are pastured with my feeder steers.

To buy him or rent and give him back is the question I keep asking myself. He's 3 years old, and has only been with 4 cows and all 4 had successful, healthy calves. I'm really stuck with my decision on this one. Do I want to feed a bull to only breed 3 cows, eventually 5? This decision has become difficult because I really like this bull. I'd hate to give him back and then love his calves, then I'd really kick myself… lol!

We have less than 20 head and we have no bull.
We wanted genetic diversity....so we have a nitro tank full of high end bulls we could never own !
We think it is easier to manage calving dates using AI.
My wife and I got certified to make timed AI more convenient and not have rely on a tech to show up.

No probably not a good idea. One you don't have enough cows to justify the cost and space.
Two you don't have enough cows to keep a mature bull home. Unless you pen him in a good pen most of the year.
He might not travel but he's nearing the age where that very often started to be a problem. I generally keep a couple of young bulls around in case I need them.
None at home right now. I loan them out to friends and customers who just have a few head. No charge , just feed him good. Look for that kinda deal

my advice is pretty much the same as @Mountaintown Creek Ranch except I have 25 - 30 cows. all the traits that you love about your bull can be found using AI bulls. If it would help, enlarge a pic of the bull(s) you bred your cows and heifers to and hang someplace where you can see it everyday. If the financial cost of keeping this bull is not a factor, by all means buy him. How can anyone put a price tag on happiness.

No probably not a good idea. One you don't have enough cows to justify the cost and space.
Two you don't have enough cows to keep a mature bull home. Unless you pen him in a good pen most of the year.
He might not travel but he's nearing the age where that very often started to be a problem. I generally keep a couple of young bulls around in case I need them.
None at home right now. I loan them out to friends and customers who just have a few head. No charge , just feed him good. Look for that kinda deal
Thanks, that's basically what I'm doing with this bull. A small fee to keep him for 2 months to breed the ladies.

Thank you all for making this decision very clear for me! I'll stick with my original plan to rent him and give him back. I do plan on becoming AI certified so I can do my own cattle and I think it's a good thing to learn how to do anyway. Thank you again!!

Please prepare yourself for a complicated and most likely over overthought question…

I currently have 12 head. 5 feeder steers that will be processed next summer, 1 cow w/ steer calf at side, 4 heifers, and currently "renting" a bull.

I say "renting" because to be quite honest, I'm falling in love with this bull. He's purebred angus, smaller framed, SUPER gentle, and doesn't make a peep (I love a quiet group of easy to work cattle). He loads in the trailer no problem, just an easy guy to be around.

I have him on an agreement for 2 months, but he is also for sale… He is turned out with my cow and 2 heifers. The other 2 heifers are too young to be bred so they are pastured with my feeder steers.

To buy him or rent and give him back is the question I keep asking myself. He's 3 years old, and has only been with 4 cows and all 4 had successful, healthy calves. I'm really stuck with my decision on this one. Do I want to feed a bull to only breed 3 cows, eventually 5? This decision has become difficult because I really like this bull. I'd hate to give him back and then love his calves, then I'd really kick myself… lol!
If you can rent the kind of bull you like, keep renting . I would rent all of my bulls for 2 months if I could find what I need close by.

A 3-4 year old bull has very little resale value over burger price and if he comes up down or dead at any point, it will be a big financial loss. For cash flow (life of a small business), there are most likely better investments that would benefit you daily.

Make sure to let the owner know you'd like first option to buy the bull if he decides to sell it. Years ago we rented a really nice bull from a neighbor and found out the next season he had sold it. Renting is great if you have the option, but you are at the mercy of who owns the bull(s).

I got hung-up on the word "certified" so I'm wondering... What kind of training was that? Lots of people AI, but they're not necessarily certified.
As a kid I seen it done in the early 70's. I knew how to do it and was confident but had never taken a real class. The cost of the straws we use are very high.
My wife didn't grow up on a farm like I did so it was great for her.
She got slot of "in" time and that is what it takes to find the almighty cervix.
I guess certified means you paid attention in the 2 day Select Sires training. (Everybody got a certificate) lol.... Also our vet requires a certificate to buy the drugs.
I actually did learn a lot about the different options for snyc heat.
We have used the 7 day with great success but had to use a tech ( friend )
It was great to talk to the instructors there that had been doing it for many years.
I have sat through many boring, and repeative educational seminars to obtain worthless certification...but this was well worth it.

I agree with all these folks renting maybe the better options... I like to just look at a bull. Cost wise and all would be cheaper to rent. On the other side if you own the bull you can always rent your bull out. Something don't always make you money but are fun to own. That would only be for you to decide what is right for you. Some bulls get done with their job with their women will get bored and want get out to find new women.

I got hung-up on the word "certified" so I'm wondering... What kind of training was that? Lots of people AI, but they're not necessarily certified.
Well I say certified because that's what an AI course calls it. They give you a "certification" so I didn't know how else to word it. But yes just learn how to AI, in simple terms.

Money aside... I think in a couple years he will go wondering and you would have to haul a really good bull, that you like, to the hamburger house, which will not be fun.

A lot of times you can get away with a couple head like that on a young bull but it likely won't fly when he hits 4, 5+ years old.

Let him get sold to some one who can put him to good use and rent the next one.

Money aside... I think in a couple years he will go wondering and you would have to haul a really good bull, that you like, to the hamburger house, which will not be fun.

A lot of times you can get away with a couple head like that on a young bull but it likely won't fly when he hits 4, 5+ years old.

Let him get sold to some one who can put him to good use and rent the next one.
Yes, you are right.

Latest posts