When buying a bull...

Help Support CattleToday:

LimousinGirl

Reaction score
What are some of the major things you want to look for in the bull? What questions should you ask the breeder? I could probablly get the answers I'm looking for by doing a search...but, I don't got time.

~LG :D

Look for: Feet and legs, width throughout, depth of body, topline, muscle, scrotum, how he walks, head and neck.
Ask: Genetics, age, EPDs if available, registration status, parents or older sybs on premises, dispostion, vaccination and worming, BSE

Final question is delivery and price.

Alot of it depends on what you want out of the bull. Will he be a terminal sire, or will you want to retain heifers out of him? What do you need to improve the quality of your herd or your calves?

Obviously you want a bull to look like a bull, not a light muscled animal that should have been steered. Heavy muscling, good confirmation, good feet/legs, and balanced EPD's. I always try to watch out for the extremes on any one particular trait. Pay attention to what you need to improve your herd. If you need to improve the carcass characteristics of your calves, buy a bull that will improve that. Need heavier weanign weights, use a bull that will improve that. Watch out for overly big, blocky shoulders and high birth weight. That could lead to calving problems.

Depending on the size of your operation, I wouldn't short change yourself by buying a cheap bull. A good one may cost you a little more, but a cheaper on may cost you more in the long run.

I generally try to buy from a reputable breeder who will stand behind their stock. It doesn't have to be a "name" brand, but just someone who backs their animals.

Those are just a few random thoughts, I'm sure others will chime in as well.

bandit80":3fo220e0 said:
Depending on the size of your operation, I wouldn't short change yourself by buying a cheap bull. A good one may cost you a little more, but a cheaper on may cost you more in the long run.

I generally try to buy from a reputable breeder who will stand behind their stock. It doesn't have to be a "name" brand, but just someone who backs their animals.
Bandit you nailed that one down I totally agree just make sure you are getting want you want out of a bull too.

Jeff

Just about every thing was covered above. All good advice. One thing that is important to me is disposition and ease of handling. You can have the greatest looking bull in the country with EPD's that WOW everybody but it 's not worth one iota if that bull is ornery and dangerous. It's hard to look at that perfect bull from a hospital bed. I want a bull that is gentle, easy to handle and that respects my authority.

Hey, thanks everybody for the answers! :D I'll have to look at the links ya'll posted sometime, novatech and spoon, but right now our computer is done, waiting for the new one to arrive! :)

LG :D

novatech":3ca6cefa said:
LimousinGirl":3ca6cefa said:
What are some of the major things you want to look for in the bull? What questions should you ask the breeder? I could probablly get the answers I'm looking for by doing a search...but, I don't got time.

~LG :D
I am glad you asked. It got me to reread this article.

http://www.albcia.org/Bull_Selection_101.html

Here is a link to more links, when you get the time.

http://www.beefcowcalf.com/pubs/Topics/ ... Selection/

Thanks for the links! I can't get the first one to work though.

Latest posts