When an auctions not an auction

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
The hay sale today. They got to the row I would buy from, and rather than auction it, they offered it to a gentleman for $40 a roll. He agreed, and bought all 22 rolls. Sold 8 other lots by auctioning them. Never seen that move before.

I've never been to a hay auction before, may have to in the future though. Can't imagine an auction operating like that, unless they have a lot of leeway with their terms and conditions.
Have been to some vegetable auctions and sometimes they auction the items off individually, then let folks take what they want at that price, after the top bidder gets their pick, then they auction the rest of the lot of as a whole.

Not that big of a deal, but 22 rolls of hay, would have put a nice dent in my hay shortage. Big, tight, stored inside grass hay to.

Bigfoot":1mc2q38u said:
The hay sale today. They got to the row I would buy from, and rather than auction it, they offered it to a gentleman for $40 a roll. He agreed, and bought all 22 rolls. Sold 8 other lots by auctioning them. Never seen that move before.

Did you buy from any of the other lots?

True Grit Farms":3p551cra said:
I was at an "absolute farm auction" last week and seen a nice Case combine no sale. Sure glad I wasn't the winning bidder.
Bigfoot":3p551cra said:

I wouldn't have thrown a fit but they would have known I noticed.

M-5":3l2c9zd5 said:
only reason I can think of that would allow that is he was backup bidder on previous lot and the lots were to be sold together and previous winner only wanted the other lot.

Saw that happen on about 60 heavy duty fence panels. High bidder got his choice and second highest got the rest at the high bidders price. Didn't bother me. I wasn't there to buy panels.

TennesseeTuxedo":1s07mk4d said:
M-5":1s07mk4d said:
only reason I can think of that would allow that is he was backup bidder on previous lot and the lots were to be sold together and previous winner only wanted the other lot.

Saw that happen on about 60 heavy duty fence panels. High bidder got his choice and second highest got the rest at the high bidders price. Didn't bother me. I wasn't there to buy panels.
That happens all the times at auctions. What happened to Bigfoot I've never seen, the seller got screwed and the auction lost commission money.

TennesseeTuxedo":3m4ph2uv said:
M-5":3m4ph2uv said:

that scenario happens all the time . but to just give a guy a item without a bid not right

Bright Raven":152sav99 said:
Bigfoot":152sav99 said:

Did you buy from any of the other lots?
No the other lots were either horse/dairy quality rolls, or small squares.

I would have gone to the auctioneer or sale barn and asked what happened. Let them tell you their version. Maybe you misunderstood the whole situation, or they made it easy for someone (probably someone they know) to get what they wanted.

Once the auctioneer/barn knows guys are seeing what is going on under the table, they have to change their ways or folks will discontinue buying (and selling)there.

M-5":3o10ylwt said:
No body spoke up ??? that is a underhanded move in my opinion

I didn't speak up, but i wish I had questioned the sales office about it.

M-5":3v0hsejg said:

That would make sense, but the lots were very unique today. There was even a lot of small squares of broomsedge. It sold for bedding of course. The lot I wanted was the only grass hay (in rolls) at the sale.

I have seen lots not bring what the seller wanted. For instance, the bidding stops at $22 a roll. The seller passes out on the bid, and says I will take $30. High bid can bump to that if they'd like, but it's the bidders choice.

Perhaps the seller couldn't be there and set a floor? Auctioneer didn't think it was worth $40, and offered it to the gentleman for $40, and he accepted? Not exactly how an auction works, but possibly an explanation. I'm not desperate "yet", but I would have given $40. Actually told myself, that I'd go to $45. It was actually a good number for me to buy, because I haul 11 rolls at a time. 2 trips, and I'd be done.

I was at an auction one time, and the auctioneer would be asking for a price and when it finally sold the clerk would write down the number he was crying for but never got. It was an indoor auction with a little movement to get to items and I could see over the clerk's shoulder to see what he was doing. (He was also an auctioneer, they were partners in the business) After about 5 sales I called him on it. He was startled, because I was talking to him as the auction was going on, and those nearby could hear the conversation.

I learned one better write down the sale price, no matter how small, because they can cheat you a little at a time and you may never realize it, or just accept it as your fault because you may have not remembered correctly!

They have a horse sale down the road here in a little town. I haven't been in a while. Used to be a big turn out every month. Almost like a social gathering. Regularly drew about 100 horses, sometimes more. I doubt 5 horses ever actually traded hands at the thing.

Latest posts