wheel hay rake

Help Support CattleToday:

brw

Reaction score
I am looking at a Vermeer VR 1022 with kicker wheels..I have a Vermeer Baler and a great dealer ..any thoughts? Any other brands I need to look at?

If I was buying new I would look at Kuhn and Vermeer. Several off brands cheaper, but down the road parts maybe a problem getting. I think shyhightree has a Kuhn like the one pictured as they are good.

Here is the Vermeer VR 1022

VR%201022.png

Kuhn SR
86024.jpeg

jltrent":gsjnna26 said:
If I was buying new I would look at Kuhn and Vermeer. Several off brands cheaper, but down the road parts maybe a problem getting. I think shyhightree has a Kuhn like the one pictured as they are good.

Here is the Vermeer VR 1022

VR%201022.png

Kuhn SR
86024.jpeg

Yes Kuhn is nice but honestly does no better than my rhino

Here is the Rhino RHP8 and it looks good.....

CroppedImage488282-Rhino-RHP-PatriotRakes-Model.jpg

I have a M & W which is the exact same rake as this Rhino just painted a little different......It has been a good one, except for the time I got it hung on a fence post..........

cropdrivenrakes_rakecaddy_1.jpg

jltrent":3on18qz8 said:
skyhightree1":3on18qz8 said:
jltrent":3on18qz8 said:
Looks like it is doing a good job.......

It does.. That Kuhn will leave long before that Rhino does
Glad to hear that as I had bout settle on a new Kuhn....

IMO Kuhn is a good one but truly it was overpriced and I don't feel it does as good of a job as that rhino is my experience. I think the tongue is longer on the Rhino which I prefer a great deal.

skyhightree1":2zr7njqw said:
jltrent":2zr7njqw said:
skyhightree1":2zr7njqw said:
It does.. That Kuhn will leave long before that Rhino does
Glad to hear that as I had bout settle on a new Kuhn....

IMO Kuhn is a good one but truly it was overpriced and I don't feel it does as good of a job as that rhino is my experience. I think the tongue is longer on the Rhino which I prefer a great deal.

Rajela":2zr7njqw said:
Kuhn carted rakes suck.

I may have to change my way of thinking.............

The ground pressure on a Kuhn is the pits. Or at least on the older models. They have way to much ground pressure and you can not adjust them any lighter. Rakes up a lot of dirt. Will be glad when I can replace the one I have now. the new models may be different mine is a 2013 model I believe.

This is our third year on the 1022 Vermeer.

Have not had any problems out of it, it's a well built machine.

I do have a couple of complaints, firstly the hydraulic hoses are tiny and it takes forever to raise and lower. Second is that it doesn't articulate that well over wavy ground, but I'm not sure that any V rake does that halfway decent.

If you are routinely raking a lot of heavy windrows with it, it may plug now and then, but again, I think that's a problem with all V rakes.

Atimm693":jml1pgyh said:
This is our third year on the 1022 Vermeer.

Have not had any problems out of it, it's a well built machine.

I do have a couple of complaints, firstly the hydraulic hoses are tiny and it takes forever to raise and lower. Second is that it doesn't articulate that well over wavy ground, but I'm not sure that any V rake does that halfway decent.

If you are routinely raking a lot of heavy windrows with it, it may plug now and then, but again, I think that's a problem with all V rakes.

I use to use my 256 when they were extremely heavy sure makes some pretty windrows IMO

brw":1oi5feez said:
I am looking at a Vermeer VR 1022 with kicker wheels..I have a Vermeer Baler and a great dealer ..any thoughts? Any other brands I need to look at?

My neighbor has got a Vermeer. Not sure of the model number. 2 years old. 12 wheel. It is one hay raking machine. He's got a Deere 568 baler w/ mega wide head. It will eat anything and everything you feed it. With the Vermeer rake you still have to stop sometimes to let him catch up. From personal experience I have no complaints with the Vermeer rake.

JMJ Farms":1gm46t17 said:
brw":1gm46t17 said:

My neighbor has got a Vermeer. Not sure of the model number. 2 years old. 12 wheel. It is one hay raking machine. He's got a Deere 568 baler w/ mega wide head. It will eat anything and everything you feed it. With the Vermeer rake you still have to stop sometimes to let him catch up. From personal experience I have no complaints with the Vermeer rake.

With ours you can pretty much go as fast as you can hang on. Can't beat the production of a V rake.

Atimm693":19xr4ltz said:
JMJ Farms":19xr4ltz said:
brw":19xr4ltz said:

With ours you can pretty much go as fast as you can hang on. Can't beat the production of a V rake.

Yep. That's the way we bale with his equipment. Especially if there's any hint of rain. Like you say, you can rake with the Vermeer as fast as you can handle it. I've seen him bale at 14-15 mph. But the fields are smooth and that 568 is a beast. Baling that fast you better be on the clutch BEFORE the beeper goes off.

Looked at the vermeer and its a well build solid rake but I prefer the rakes with the independently mounted and suspended wheels they follow the ground better and also allow for raking rougher ground.

Also the mid capacity style like that vermeer 1022 or say a NH procart, Pequea MidCap, Kuhn SR do a much better job than the low capacity bifold style rakes like that M&W pictured.

For heavy crops a high capacity wheel in front of frame rake is the best but they are also costly and don't have the ability to rake single sided and are harder to road transport.

Latest posts