Wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

larryshoat

Reaction score
DSCN0698.jpg

Here's a pic of one of my wheat fields late March .

Larry

Nice pic. Hope it continues growing well for you. Can't wait to see some green crops up here-right now the fields are just mud.

Thanks, looks like the wheat has made it through winter anyway . Try to hang in there LoveMoo, I'm sure the green is headed your way :D .

Larry

Looks good Larry....most of the wheat around here was already in the dough stage and we got a pretty hard freeze with frost.....lost at least half of the total acreage around here. Looks like we'll have a lot of wheat hay for sale as well as some are chopping it for silage.

TexasBred":1s6hgoqw said:
Looks good Larry....most of the wheat around here was already in the dough stage and we got a pretty hard freeze with frost.....lost at least half of the total acreage around here. Looks like we'll have a lot of wheat hay for sale as well as some are chopping it for silage.

Dang I hate to hear that TB, wheat is like that though, you ain't out of the woods till the check clears from the elevator .

Larry

TexasBred":1tp4af5u said:

The wheat around here isn't knee high to a grasshopper this year. I saw 6 different BIG wheat fields being laid down for hay/silage yesterday evening on the way home from work. I don't remember these fields being used for hay/silage in the past 10/12 years.

Jogeephus":1o5b3mnf said:
Good looking wheat. What will you be planting behind it?

Jogee. I always plant soybeans behind wheat , then pray for rain .

Larry

Jogeephus":3uhok61v said:
Hope you got a great yield on it. Looks like you did.
I don't have all the tickets back yet, but it looks like it made about 75 bu. The test weight is still good, that's where they really put it to ya when the test weight drops below 57 lbs.

Larry

sounds like you got a great yeld on your wheat field.looks like it made alot of straw to.did you roll up the straw.

bigbull338":7emjayv2 said:
sounds like you got a great yeld on your wheat field.looks like it made alot of straw to.did you roll up the straw.

Yeah it will make a lot of straw. I think we're gonna put it in small square bales, although with the economy being bad I don't know if it will move or not, most of the straw was going for landscaping.

Larry

It looks like this is going to be a good year for beans.

Do you ever eat them? Haven't in a while but we used to soak them like black eyed peas and then cook them. They are different but I kinda like them.

No, I've never eaten them, I do like my black eyed peas though, with okra down in them and a chunk of back fat, maybe I'll try some though.

Larry

bigbull338":1emgrdpv said:
looks like the beans are doing real good.

We've been getting good rains, seems like they jump every time we get a shower. This is about as far north as you can go and have a shot at raising double crop beans, but this looks like a good year if we can keep the frost back.

Larry

larryshoat":2f5bm8qv said:
No, I've never eaten them, I do like my black eyed peas though, with okra down in them and a chunk of back fat, maybe I'll try some though.

Larry

Mom would cook them with fatback or cured ham just like regular peas. They tasted a bit like blackeyed peas but had a peanut taste to them too. Definitely different but good.

Latest posts