Wheat vs Rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

uscott

Reaction score
Ok after not getting the rye seed i took one of you all's advise and bought wheat seed. What has been the boards experience with it. Do the cows tend to come out of winter/into summer in better condition, what about tetany etc. Just trying to get some info from someone with experience.

we grew wheat for our milk cows for about 12yrs.you have to put them on HI MAG minerals 2wks before you turn them in on the wheat.you really need to control graze them on wheat.by that i mean turn them in let eat for 1hr then get them out and close the gate.because they get full in hour.and tromp and beat the wheat down by laying on it.

I've been drilling rye grass but will switch to wheat this year. My understanding is that wheat is a big phosphate consumer and I have 450lbs acre in the soil.

remember that you have to drill in 100lbs of wheat to the ac.and you can start drying it in sept 1st or notilling it in on that date.

bigbull338":1r92zg6f said:
remember that you have to drill in 100lbs of wheat to the ac.and you can start drying it in sept 1st or notilling it in on that date.

My plan was to no till it but can i plant it that early without worrying about worms etc

uscott":sgndtkqt said:
bigbull338":sgndtkqt said:

My plan was to no till it but can i plant it that early without worrying about worms etc
If you want fall grazing you have to start planting in September. You will have to be vigilant in watching for armyworms and also get timely rains to keep the wheat growing.

if armyworms hitt the wheat planted in sept.then you replant the wheat.we had them hit us once like that and had to replant it.

BC":ew7g1yhc said:
uscott":ew7g1yhc said:
bigbull338":ew7g1yhc said:

If you want fall grazing you have to start planting in September. You will have to be vigilant in watching for armyworms and also get timely rains to keep the wheat growing.

Might want add 2-3# of purple top turnips to whatever you plant. Should give you more fall grazing than strait wheat/oats/rye/ryegrass.

Please clarify-are you wanting to plant cereal rye or annual ryegrass? Cereal rye should get you more fall growth, whereas annual ryegrass will last longer into summer. A mix of both plus the turnips might be best.

Papaw do you plant the turnips with the Oats and ryegrass. I have always just planted Oats and ryegrass but am always open to new ideas.

wacocowboy":11ozdrb1 said:
Papaw do you plant the turnips with the Oats and ryegrass. I have always just planted Oats and ryegrass but am always open to new ideas.
Haven't planted any turnips but plan to this year. Will probably plant a mix of all 3. Know a guy who plants oats and turnips and says his cows love them. Many years ago, in the Paris Tx area saw several fields of wheat and turnips in the fall.

you have to remember even here in texas oats will freeze out if the temp gets 32 or lower for a while.we planted some oats on a field 1yr and the whole field pretty much froze out.needless to say we didnt do that again.

I have never had problem with oats freezing been planting them for years and my Grandfather before me going back to the 70s guess it don't get that cold here. I think I will try to throw some turnips with my oats and rye I guess you can buy the seeds at the local feed store.

wacocowboy":3tkecypc said:
I have never had problem with oats freezing been planting them for years and my Grandfather before me going back to the 70s guess it don't get that cold here. I think I will try to throw some turnips with my oats and rye I guess you can buy the seeds at the local feed store.

Buzbee Feed usually has a big bag of turnip seed and will weigh out how much you want.

Texas PaPaw":1nm8e3xl said:
wacocowboy":1nm8e3xl said:

Buzbee Feed usually has a big bag of turnip seed and will weigh out how much you want.

Do you know about what they cost?

wacocowboy":80u05d66 said:
Texas PaPaw":80u05d66 said:
wacocowboy":80u05d66 said:

Do you know about what they cost?

Several years ago think it was $2/#.

Latest posts