wheat pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

footballjdtractor

Reaction score
Are cattle out on wheat pasture this time of year? If so what has all the bad weather in Texas and Oklahoma done to gain and death loss? If not what time of year are they put in and when do they come off? Sorry if this question seems obvious to some of you living out there but I'm from the east and we don't do anything like that around here.

The wheat around here looks awful. Very dry for so long...now cold and wet. No grazing whatsoever, but it will eventually make a wheat crop.

Yes cattle of all classes are on wheat right now in the panhandle of Texas. We usually turn steers out on irrigated pastures as early as November. Dry land wheat gets cattle turned out when ever it is ready. This has been a very poor wheat pasture year in my area most of it did not make and what did has not done well. Gain is poor with weather like this and death loss will be higher as well. If the wheat is tall and you have good water and good wind breaks the steers can hold their own in this type of bad weather. Stocking rates on dry-land in this area were about 100lbs/ac where the wheat made. Average stocking rate for dry land would be 250lbs/ac. Most of the steers that were on wheat this year are have been shipped or will be shortly. In most years they stay on untill March 15th if the wheat is going to be harvested, graze out wheat can hold cattle untill about the end of April.

footballjdtractor":1f0855dd said:
Are cattle out on wheat pasture this time of year? If so what has all the bad weather in Texas and Oklahoma done to gain and death loss? If not what time of year are they put in and when do they come off? Sorry if this question seems obvious to some of you living out there but I'm from the east and we don't do anything like that around here.

We have wheat pasture here in central Oklahoma. Like others have said hasn't been much of it since its been so dry. Normal years we usually pull the cattle off the wheat around the 1st of march. Then harvest is around the 1st week of June.