wheat hay

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":sftfy6ak said:
bigbull338":sftfy6ak said:
he has baled enough hay that he knows what he is getting if we sell it to him.esp since most of this cutting is pure coastal thats nice an thick.guess i need to go to the field an look at his bales,since he wants me to look at them.
Bull you been "gonna have that hay baled" for a month now. I'd say it's well past prime and not worth much. But as I said, "It all looks good in a bale or a roll". Don't look at the bales...probe a dozen or so and have it tested. No need for both of you to be in the dark.
im not in the dark on the hay an neither is he.he knows the hay as well as i do.i went an looked at what he baled an its nice an green in color.the bales are so tight you cant get your fingers in it up to the 1st joint.yeah he is late baling it but he has baled 700 bales or more an got into some bad meadows that ate his lunch.besides we are atlest 3wks ahead with the coastal this year here.an its ready to bale anytime.

Hay can have all the appearances of what good hay should be but you will not know the true content of the hay until it is sampled and tested. Look at a bale of corn stalks. That bale will not IMO exhibit the characteristics of a quality feed bale if you are accustomed to grass and legume hays. Test the bale of corn fodder and you will be surprised. With proper treatment and some minor supplementing the corn fodder bale is satisfactory hay. Buy hay by weight and test results and you will know what you have paid for. You may even get your moneys worth!

agmantoo":115vw0qv said:
Hay can have all the appearances of what good hay should be but you will not know the true content of the hay until it is sampled and tested. Look at a bale of corn stalks. That bale will not IMO exhibit the characteristics of a quality feed bale if you are accustomed to grass and legume hays. Test the bale of corn fodder and you will be surprised. With proper treatment and some minor supplementing the corn fodder bale is satisfactory hay. Buy hay by weight and test results and you will know what you have paid for. You may even get your moneys worth!
:nod: :clap: :nod:

Get it tested! Before you make to many claims on how good it is. We learned this the hard way a couple years back. The county was offering free hay sample testing so we took three in "knowing" what was our best hay was. Dead wrong. It went against everything we though we knew, the rained on fescue that had to set out and dry for three days after getting rained on tested 11% protien and the "good" brome that had great color, smell and we thought of as calf hay, put up dry was 7.5%. Both were in the mid 60% for TDN. We have tested every year since and have had they same results. Alot depends on when you put it up. On a good year our grass will stay nice and green and look and smell great in a bale but with some grasses the protien and TDN will drop to wheat straw in no time if not cut and baled in time. I dont kow about coastal so I cant say. Get it tested so we all know.

as i said earlier we never have tested our hay an prolly never will.an we have people that want to buy hay off us every year.an they dont question the hay as theyve seen the fields it comes from.plus yall are forgetting something people can get top end protine tests an do the bait an switch.if you have to look at something that may not be right buying hay something is wrong.

BB noone is questioning your honesty or morals....only suggesting that you get the hay tested for your own benefit so you will know what you're feeding and/or selling as apposed to the good old boy approach of "Just take my word". It could make you or save you a lot of money in the end and cost very little to have it done.

TexasBred":ko0r5uz3 said:
BB noone is questioning your honesty or morals....only suggesting that you get the hay tested for your own benefit so you will know what you're feeding and/or selling as apposed to the good old boy approach of "Just take my word". It could make you or save you a lot of money in the end and cost very little to have it done.
TB i know what your saying an i agree with you if i was selling horse or dairy hay.i hate to say this as i dont know how ill sell the hay for.but ill prolly sell the extra to the baler man for $35 or $40 a bale since we are paying the baleing.if it was to my buddy it would be $50 a bale.

bigbull338":36de4f5d said:
he has baled enough hay that he knows what he is getting if we sell it to him.esp since most of this cutting is pure coastal thats nice an thick.guess i need to go to the field an look at his bales,since he wants me to look at them.

And he forgot to lower the cutter ??????

hurleyjd":206gneq4 said:
bigbull338":206gneq4 said:

And he forgot to lower the cutter ??????
yeah he forgot to put it in the dirt all the way.i figure he will put it all the way down when he goes back to cutting.

Latest posts