Wheat hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
man you got you some good hay worth the money.thats some good hay if its baled right.an has some heads full of wheat in it.

grannysoo":30vm0vpc said:
You need to keep it dry. Even netwrapped, wheat doesn't hold up good to rain.

Any kind of hay would be better if it were covered, and wheat hay doesn't hold up as well as other types of forage. However, I baled almost 100 bales of wheat hay last year. Late frost hurt it and it would not of had any grain. The bales were net wrapped, and I had very little spoilage. Probably had close to 20 inches of rain on them after they were baled. Quality of bale has more to do with it than anything.

Can't believe the guy would cut wheat for hay to sell at $25 a roll when wheat is selling for over $8.00 a bushel. Maybe no market for it out there ??

In Arizona, most likely this farmer is on irrigated ground. The wheat was probably just a rotation crop. If he takes the wheat to full maturity. He may lose yield on the primary crop, yet to be planted.

highvoltagecattleco":3s2xol8l said:
In Arizona, most likely this farmer is on irrigated ground. The wheat was probably just a rotation crop. If he takes the wheat to full maturity. He may lose yield on the primary crop, yet to be planted.

That very well could be the case. But if irrigated the wheat should have produced very well and at $8 a bushel certainly would be more profitable than $25 a roll hay. I'm not real familar with Arizona so "What other crops do farmers in Arizona grow?... cotton, alfalfa?? "

TexasBred":2gdf2z2s said:
highvoltagecattleco":2gdf2z2s said:

That very well could be the case. But if irrigated the wheat should have produced very well and at $8 a bushel certainly would be more profitable than $25 a roll hay. I'm not real familar with Arizona so "What other crops do farmers in Arizona grow?... cotton, alfalfa?? "

If I remember right, Arizona can raise some tremendous corn crops under irrigation. I could be wrong, cause sometimes I am a :dunce: .

But if so, maybe he would make more money taking the wheat off before maturity, selling the hay, and planting corn. I dunno, would have to pencil it out, but with close to $6 cash corn, that might work out. $8/bushel wheat should be pretty darn profitable too however. I do know one thing, his cows will love that wheat hay. It is some good stuff.

baxter78":2354wz8a said:
Dont know. Didnt ask...didnt do the math. This fella has hay coming out his eyeballs. They have a total lease and owned land of nearly 1000 acres and they grow wheat and alfalfa. Unfortunately it is all already contracted out so I got what I could.

Sounds good to me...and the price was right. We'll let the landowner worry about what he's gonna do with that acreage the rest of the year. Bet the cows will love that hay come winter. Good buy. :clap: :clap:

Over here I have never seen wheat hay, we don't plant wheat for winter pasture even and don't feed wheat straw.

When would you cut wheat for hay and what advantage does it have over barley or oats?

KNERSIE":2evb356r said:
Over here I have never seen wheat hay, we don't plant wheat for winter pasture even and don't feed wheat straw.

When would you cut wheat for hay and what advantage does it have over barley or oats?

In my neck of the woods we plant winter wheat. Planted in early fall. It is cut for hay soon after heading out, around mid to late May for me. Dad's wheat by the house is just now completely headed out, but it will be cut for grain as opposed to hay. As far as advantages over barley and oats, I'm not real sure. Barley isn't grown around me, have to be further north for that. I suspect the nutrient content would be very similar. Around hear, you can plant winter wheat in the fall, cut hay in mid-late May, and then plant soybeans after the hay is removed. If you plant oats for hay, you are looking at a later date to cut hay, and then plant beans, typically around first week of June. Still plenty of time to double crop with beans.

KNERSIE":1ft249h7 said:

I've never fooled with wheat until this year so I'm afraid I'm not much help, but I put in about 34 acres of wheat last November in a field we are renovating. Cut it this past Saturday and has had a couple showers on it. Started baling today, 142 5x4's and looks to be about 30 or so more, got too damp this evening to finish. Gorgeous hay.

Ironic? I was reading this post when the phone rang, they want to give away 18 rolls of wheat hay that was headed out. I was leary,didn't know how far along it was, possibly to seed. Friend fed it once, cattle started dieing. Wheat grain too heavy for cows to digest. We did wheat hay one year on 9 acres. Got 188 4x5 rolls, the guy that rolled it couldn't believe it.

kickinbull":byrk31ms said:
Ironic? I was reading this post when the phone rang, they want to give away 18 rolls of wheat hay that was headed out. I was leary,didn't know how far along it was, possibly to seed. Friend fed it once, cattle started dieing. Wheat grain too heavy for cows to digest. We did wheat hay one year on 9 acres. Got 188 4x5 rolls, the guy that rolled it couldn't believe it.

Neither can I. :lol: :lol:

KNERSIE":3cug347u said:

We usually plant oats here - - for either grain or for a grazing annual. Oats has fewer disease problems then barley. I plan to hay off some oats cover crop this June because there is Kura clover in the legume/grass mix and Kura does not like shade. Oats hay is hard to dry and the protein is only about 10% but cattle really love it.

I recall that wheat has a little better food value than oats and needs less rain - - but I think most folks are talking about salvaging crops that will not make grain.

Latest posts