?Wheat Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We ran out of hay and hay is scarce at any price around here. I bought 5 rolls of what the man called wheat hay with some rye in it. He is feeding it to his own cattle. It is not straw. The wheat still has the grain heads on it and the hay is green after you get the outer layer off it. I have never heard of wheat. The cows are eating it. Did I get duped? What if any would be the expected nutritional value of wheat hay.

[email protected]

We fed wheat hay exclusively the past 3 months. If it doesn;t have a high nitrate level there isn;t anything wrong with it. The protein will be a little low, but for some reason it seems like the TDN is pretty high. We've stuck a 14% saupplement tub out for the girls, and they've eaten some but not much. They have all calved and have enough milk, the yearlings didn't grow as well as we would have liked, but that will be taken care of by compensatory gain (we hope) now that that they are going out to top quality pasture. You will have a nice crop of volunteer wheat pop up, nothing wrong with it, as a mtter of fact it may supply you with some unexected late fall and very early spring feed before it goes to seed next year if it is winter wheat.

dun

> We ran out of hay and hay is
> scarce at any price around here. I
> bought 5 rolls of what the man
> called wheat hay with some rye in
> it. He is feeding it to his own
> cattle. It is not straw. The wheat
> still has the grain heads on it
> and the hay is green after you get
> the outer layer off it. I have
> never heard of wheat. The cows are
> eating it. Did I get duped? What
> if any would be the expected
> nutritional value of wheat hay.

Live and learn. I will be talking to more to the farmer I purchased the hay from and may arrange for some more next year if the cows appear to be doing good. After talking to him a may send a sample off for analysis and see how it compares.
> We fed wheat hay exclusively the
> past 3 months. If it doesn;t have
> a high nitrate level there isn;t
> anything wrong with it. The
> protein will be a little low, but
> for some reason it seems like the
> TDN is pretty high. We've stuck a
> 14% saupplement tub out for the
> girls, and they've eaten some but
> not much. They have all calved and
> have enough milk, the yearlings
> didn't grow as well as we would