Wheat hay in oklahoma

Help Support CattleToday:

CTH

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a rookie cattle farmer small herd and only 8 years experience, I have recently found a guy locally bailing wheat hay and I'm considering purchasing some for a winter supplement. Id like any help and feed back on what you think ive researched and found Thant this hay could possibly be high in protein but I haven't tested it . One of my concerns is the time of year it is baled in, should i be concerned? Btw it looks like it was in the boot stage no seed yet .

Thank you for all your help I'm learning everyday and my ignorance is due to inexperience :D

CTH":1wkwp7ho said:
Hi, I'm a rookie cattle farmer small herd and only 8 years experience, I have recently found a guy locally bailing wheat hay and I'm considering purchasing some for a winter supplement. Id like any help and feed back on what you think ive researched and found Thant this hay could possibly be high in protein but I haven't tested it . One of my concerns is the time of year it is baled in, should i be concerned? Btw it looks like it was in the boot stage no seed yet .

Thank you for all your help I'm learning everyday and my ignorance is due to inexperience :D

Have it tested then you'll know what is in that bale.

Boot stage wheat should be some pretty good hay barring crappy weather during curing. 40 years ago Dad took it at dough stage. Testing is the only way to know for sure.

Wheat hay baked right is very good and can have some lesser quaility hay fed with it to turn it down a little.
Test and you will know for sure.
I use to bale oats in the boot stage all the time. Did some wheat but more oats. Have a lot of wheat to bale this year if the weather lets me. If not I'll take it to grain.
Oats done right are to hot for horses free choice.

Pull some out of the end of the bale and see what it looks like. As long as it has good color it should be good hay.

TexasBred":18bvly39 said:
greatgerts":18bvly39 said:
Allenw":18bvly39 said:
Pull some out of the end of the bale and see what it looks like. As long as it has good color it should be good hay.

How does color determine quality?
:?: :shock: Good question.

Wheat has a relatively narrow window to put it up for good hay. The op has done said it appears to have been put up in the boot, if it has a good color then it wasn't rained on or baled too wet and molded or rotted.

Allenw":2g0hkgdg said:
TexasBred":2g0hkgdg said:
greatgerts":2g0hkgdg said:

Wheat has a relatively narrow window to put it up for good hay. The op has done said it appears to have been put up in the boot, if it has a good color then it wasn't rained on or baled too wet and molded or rotted.
But that really has nothing to do with quality. Only a test will tell you what you really have. Everything looks good in a bale.

Allenw":7jwr8bvw said:
TexasBred":7jwr8bvw said:
greatgerts":7jwr8bvw said:

Your comments are exactly why I never attempted it. Seems I can never get spring hay dry enough or the clay field is too wet to get on. Don't know of anybody else around here ever doing it either. Rye is about all that gets baled that time of year.

Texasmark":15h759lj said:
Allenw":15h759lj said:
TexasBred":15h759lj said:

Your comments are exactly why I never attempted it. Seems I can never get spring hay dry enough or the clay field is too wet to get on. Don't know of anybody else around here ever doing it either. Rye is about all that gets baled that time of year.
I have not only those problems with it but also that's s very busy time for us planting.
I haven't been doing any wheat hay but this year I planted some. If I can't bale it I'll just let it go to grain.
I really like oats and ryegrass mixed for hay but used wheat so I would have the opportunity to grain harvest instead.
I also like it as balage and hope to put it up that way instead of dry but that hinges on being able to rent a wrapper.

Latest posts