Wheat, clover and oats for deer and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

KMETX

Reaction score
I'm looking to bush hog 2 acres of bottom land and plant it in wheat clover and or oats. Which combo works best for deer and after season cows? When do I need to plant? Should I bush hog and then spray before I plow and plant?

KMETX":d3xveex1 said:
I'm looking to bush hog 2 acres of bottom land and plant it in wheat clover and or oats. Which combo works best for deer and after season cows? When do I need to plant? Should I bush hog and then spray before I plow and plant?

I have turned over the summer plots last week.
Plant a blend the local feed mill makes up mixture of cow peas, clover, wheat also has some winter greens.
I don't spray as the deer like to browse the new growth after discing.

If your in Texas keep it simple . About 70/30
Oats and clover. You might thicken up the clover where you want the deer to feed.
Also if you have much of a deer population 2 acres can be to small. They can wear it out unless you fence it until it gets established.

Cowpeas are typically used as summer forage

Edit to add. If you really want to draw deer from your neighbors fields. Don't be shy with the nitrogen. It makes a big difference to deer

East Texas near Canton its black dirt

Do I need to spray what's left after I Mow?

KMETX":sgq9x3hb said:

I'm not from Texas and don't know what you call "bottom land" here bottom land can flood for a day or two after heavy rains. I plant alot of bottom land here in wheat, turnips and white - red clover. Wheat grows the best out of all the small grains used for forage in wet areas.

KMETX":2oiumhaa said:
East Texas near Canton its black dirt

Do I need to spray what's left after I Mow?
I spray, then shred. Works a lot better as the plant doesn't have near the leafy matter to take the chemical in after you shred. Don't know how well your clover will do in black land, I've not had much luck myself