Wheat and austrian peas for hay

Help Support CattleToday:

gbfarm

Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying this combination this fall.
Will the peas do well in this region? I'm about 40 minutes west of Blacksburg.
Also how does tritical compare with wheat for hay?
Thanks for all replies

gbfarm said:
I've been thinking about trying this combination this fall.
Will the peas do well in this region? I'm about 40 minutes west of Blacksburg.
Also how does tritical compare with wheat for hay?
Thanks for all replies
I read a little about the peas and seems there could be a problem with plant disease in the Mid Atlantic states. I know nothing about it though.

The peas do well for me in zone 6b and have survived down to zero Fahrenheit. They'll add protein to the hay and are good for the soil. Make sure you inoculate them.

Peas absolutely. Only caveat is that they dry fast and by the time the wheat or Rye grass are ready to bale, peas may be dried out and brown. Food value don't know at that stage, but soil enrichment great.

Thanks for the replys.
I'm list in zone 6B also.
I'm going to give peas a try this fall.
What seeding rates do you use with fall planting?

Dirt Farmer said:
The peas do well for me in zone 6b and have survived down to zero Fahrenheit. They'll add protein to the hay and are good for the soil. Make sure you inoculate them.

Austrian Winter Field peas don't need the inoculant. I never used it and get superb results. Local feed-seed farm store, owned/run by a family that probably farms more acreage in the area as anybody. They told my when I made my first purchase that it wasn't needed but have it as an extra purchase for those thinking they need it and you can fool with it to your heart's content. No requirement is probably THE reason I use them for soil enrichment. Haven't been sorry.

Austrian Winter Field peas don't need the inoculant. I never used it and get superb results. Local feed-seed farm store, owned/run by a family that probably farms more acreage in the area as anybody. They told my when I made my first purchase that it wasn't needed but have it as an extra purchase for those thinking they need it and you can fool with it to your heart's content. No requirement is probably THE reason I use them for soil enrichment. Haven't been sorry.
[/quote]

I'll have to plant some in soil that has never grown them and try this out. I know if you plant them in the same place as a previous year you don't have to inoculate them.

Latest posts