Whatsit?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I acquired a mixed lot of stockers and one of them really has me baffled. Ohh white, almost wihte but with a blackish undercast, not grey, blackish. Black ears, nose and pigment around the eye, black teats and udder. Not as clean fronted as a Charolais, much squarer body, head shaped differently also. I know she's crossed up with something, probably Charolais and what else is the question. So, what breed have these characteristics? We have a Piedmontese breeder in the area, and I'm sure there are the odd bulls from other breeds. Ideas?

dun

sounds like maybe a white park cross? could be anything though, we had a beefmaster calf born a few weeks ago that looks like a dalmation!

> I acquired a mixed lot of stockers
> and one of them really has me
> baffled. Ohh white, almost wihte
> but with a blackish undercast, not
> grey, blackish. Black ears, nose
> and pigment around the eye, black
> teats and udder. Not as clean
> fronted as a Charolais, much
> squarer body, head shaped
> differently also. I know she's
> crossed up with something,
> probably Charolais and what else
> is the question. So, what breed
> have these characteristics? We
> have a Piedmontese breeder in the
> area, and I'm sure there are the
> odd bulls from other breeds.
> Ideas?

> dun

Off-white or somewhat grey overall, black nose tip, black tongue, black vulva and possibly teats suggest to me that she might have some Italian in her --- Romagnola, Marchigiana or maybe Chianina. I think the Chi would contribute to a more angular head shape than the other two, but as I recall all three of the Italian breeds I listed have similar color patterns of off-white to grey (when at least 3 or 4 months old) and black extremities.

From your description, it is probably either a white park or white galloway, could be a crossbred, could be a straightbred, no way to tell. Oh wait, almost forgot, one more possibility, maybe it is actually a black angus carrying a translocation mutation of a diluter gene with incomplete dominance that was introduced from a red carrier charolais bull, for God's sake DO NOT try and eat it (or let anyone see you standing near it)