What's your "trick" to fring fish?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Is it the oil,the heat of the oil, the batter, the dredge?...I saw some tonight and ate some the other night and keep asking myself " why can't I get this right....?"
I've tried a bunch of technique but I'm still trying for perfect. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Oil 325. Get it hot before you drop fish in. I do not use batter. I salt pepper and roll in hoovers corn meal. I also don,t cook it to death. Fish should juicy and flakey.

Used to test the heat of the oil by dropping a kitchen match in it. If it lit it was ready. Now I use a thermometer and start dropping fish in at 375. Like hook said, let the oil recover the heat before the next load. I also think the breading will make or break the flavor. This is one of the better ones I've found and what I've started using.

What everyone else said - plus I screen out the old corn meal and flour between batches. Got a big screen scoop I swirl through the grease and get most of the old batter out - leave very little batter. The screen is about 1/3 the size of my largest dutch oven fish pot.

Ideal temp to fry is 350 to 365. I would not go hotter than that. You risk flashing over when you get past 375 and your oil will burn pretty fast. No offense to whomever said 325 but that is pretty low and food almost boils instead of frying at that temp.

3waycross":1vqlh6sq said:
Ideal temp to fry is 350 to 365. I would not go hotter than that. You risk flashing over when you get past 375 and your oil will burn pretty fast. No offense to whomever said 325 but that is pretty low and food almost boils instead of frying at that temp.

No offense taken I meant 375 when I replied.

We use equal parts of zatarains fish fry breading, yellow meal and panko with 365 oil temp. Had fresh bass last night with a new onion straw recipe and fresh asparagus.

Couple things to remember, if your using egg in any of you battering, use only egg white ,no yoke. Also dont put your cooked fish on paper, make a rack even if its the racks outa your grill. Paper will draw the oil out , but it will also put it right back in

houstoncutter":vuqhq86p said:
Couple things to remember, if your using egg in any of you battering, use only egg white ,no yoke. Also dont put your cooked fish on paper, make a rack even if its the racks outa your grill. Paper will draw the oil out , but it will also put it right back in
Right.....great way to ruin a good batch! Great post.

You fry fish in 'melted' mayonnaise?

Here's how I do it.
I drive over to Livingston, plop down my $12 and eat all I want.
:lol:

greybeard":3n9bqt9c said:
You fry fish in 'melted' mayonnaise?

Here's how I do it.
I drive over to Livingston, plop down my $12 and eat all I want.
:lol:
I use to do that down at Elisabeth Town out on the floating restaurant on the Ohio. Got kind of hard to eat when it started rockin. :lol2:

Latest posts