Whats your thoughts on this grain bin?

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214":1qwnq0qj said:
I need a grain storage bin to keep my replacement heifer feed in. buying that the bag and not by the ton is adding up. Whats thoughts on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ValCo-4-4-Ton-B ... 35d38ef846

Its nice. If you go to farm sales you can get them for a lil of nothing. I have a couple that I should be using on our hog barns probably but bags are more convenient for me.

hicky214":2crf26xz said:
I need a grain storage bin to keep my replacement heifer feed in. buying that the bag and not by the ton is adding up. Whats thoughts on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ValCo-4-4-Ton-B ... 35d38ef846
I'm sure that has some sort of opening in or near the bottom for gravity flow but it doesn't show on the pic. Try to get one with an auger....I'd look for a good used one first.

Sales here used ones are going for what a new one cost. Last sale a used Plastic one sold for 200 more than what he paid new for it. It gets kinda comical watching these guys bid. I was at the sale googling items new watching 5-10 year old stuff sell for more.

hicky214":307qrubf said:
Sales here used ones are going for what a new one cost. Last sale a used Plastic one sold for 200 more than what he paid new for it. It gets kinda comical watching these guys bid. I was at the sale googling items new watching 5-10 year old stuff sell for more.

I go to a big sale down outside of danville that reasonable and one in nc and they were going for 150 bucks in nc guess cause that area is mostly tobacco

I see similar ones all the time here, when they upgrade chicken houses the usually upgrade the grain bins

M5farm":3pjh606u said:
I see similar ones all the time here, when they upgrade chicken houses the usually upgrade the grain bins
Same down here M5 with dairy farms that have gone out of business.....18 ton tanks standing everywhere....good condition but worth about 25% of what they cost....hard to convince the owner of that though. Have seen some at liquidation sales for even less than that.

dieselbeef":y9e5fkei said:
give bridging some thought depending what youre gonna put in it

A lot of used ones around here are dented up from mallet blows to dislodge feed.

How thick of a concrete pad does that one require?

I bought that same brand bin about 4 years ago. 4 ton model but I can only get about 3.5 tons of 14% commodity pellets from Southern States in it. Have not had any problems with bridging, but have only had the pelleted feed in it. I do not have an auger with mine but you can buy an adapter plate to add the auger later.

M5farm":1fppzvrn said:

Same here. I bought two of them for $50 apiece when a guy reworked his chicken houses. I think they were six ton capacity. Never went and picked them up and I guess they are still in the bushes if he hasn't sold them for scrap.

Personally, I prefer a mobile creep feeder. Less stuff to break and like TB says the bridging can be a pain with these if you don't use the feed up fast. Lots of people here just have a concrete slab in a barn and have the feed delivered and dumped there.

I prefer the slide offset to the side and vertical. When they sit on the bottom like that they carry the full weight of the contents and can be difficult to operate.
Ken

http://dothan.craigslist.org/grd/4792448018.html

00E0E_dmbCeDgNndK_600x450.jpg

I have one that is about like that but I think it's a 5 ton bin. I put DDGS in mine all the time and 3 ton is all that it will hold. I have a sacker on the side of it that is very handy to full up buckets. I have a auger for mine but never use it.

Have you thought about buying a small, mines 2400 bushel, regular grain bin. Pour concrete floor, build wooden cribs inside with corn chutes, and having space inside for several cribs? Has worked fine for me for several years. You could finish a new bin for what say 4 of the bulk bins your looking at. And still have storage.
I have 3 cribs in my bin, each hold around 5 ton of feed, and have only used up half of the space. Problem with bulk bins is you only have one feed on hand.
If you're handy you could buy small unused grain bins, dissasmible , and put up at your place. May be able to buy for the removable cost. JUst a thought. gs

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/grd/4731945593.html

I have multiple feed bins for sale!! Will give special price for all or can purchase individually!! Will also trade for angus beef cow and calf pairs!! Let's make a deal!!
Two 24 Ton with three rings and 8 legs ($2000 a piece)
One 18 Ton with 3 rings ($1500)
One 15 Ton with 4 rings ($1200)
One 8 Ton with 3 rings ($900) SOLD!!