What's Your Take On This Statement?

Help Support CattleToday:

Killala":w7eswy8y said:
My own personal opinion:

If it can't/doesn't perform in the paddock, it should NEVER enter a show ring.

Over and out :p

D@mn straight Carla!

And I'm glad here that's usually how our cattle are judged

Bek":1l1ehi8q said:
Killala":1l1ehi8q said:
My own personal opinion:

If it can't/doesn't perform in the paddock, it should NEVER enter a show ring.

Over and out :p

D@mn straight Carla!

And I'm glad here that's usually how our cattle are judged

Sure wish they were judged that way here.

We have several ex club calf style show heifers in our pasture and they are very functional. They get around fine, they raise a good calf every year, have great udders, and hold up great. Some of our better cows were show heifers. The calves out of the show cattle are bigger better calves and they bring in more money then any of our commercial calves. We do this as a hobby and have always had cattle and for us the club calf type cattle work best for us. It is all about what works best for you and what you like. I don't have anything against the commercial type cattle but it always seems that when we go to our county fair the people with commercial type cattle always have something aginst the people with the club calf types. You will always find good functional cattle in every type and breed just as you will find junk cattle in every breed and type.

SKF Show Cattle":28ne5os2 said:
We have several ex club calf style show heifers in our pasture and they are very functional. They get around fine, they raise a good calf every year, have great udders, and hold up great. Some of our better cows were show heifers. The calves out of the show cattle are bigger better calves and they bring in more money then any of our commercial calves. We do this as a hobby and have always had cattle and for us the club calf type cattle work best for us. It is all about what works best for you and what you like. I don't have anything against the commercial type cattle but it always seems that when we go to our county fair the people with commercial type cattle always have something aginst the people with the club calf types. You will always find good functional cattle in every type and breed just as you will find junk cattle in every breed and type.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The only cattle event I er showed in was the carcase competition. Four finished steers would be submitted, and judged on the hoof for conformation, they were then slaughtered, and the second part of the judging done on carcase quality. This was sponsored by the state meat processing company and was considered THE prestige event of the agricultural show circuit. Over the years, everything from fullblood Afrikana to various Beefmaster crosses won the competition, I never heared any accusations of breed bias in over 20 years, and to be placed in the top 3 was a great boon to your marketing for at least the next year.

andybob":dzbqqfyj said:
The only cattle event I er showed in was the carcase competition. Four finished steers would be submitted, and judged on the hoof for conformation, they were then slaughtered, and the second part of the judging done on carcase quality. This was sponsored by the state meat processing company and was considered THE prestige event of the agricultural show circuit. Over the years, everything from fullblood Afrikana to various Beefmaster crosses won the competition, I never heared any accusations of breed bias in over 20 years, and to be placed in the top 3 was a great boon to your marketing for at least the next year.

They did that once at the American Royal back in the 70's. I don't know if any other breeds did it besides the Herefords. I thought it was a great idea. It only lasted one year. Rumor why it was dropped was that the "right" steers didn't win in the carcass portion.

Elder Statesman":3s4jaqj1 said:
andybob":3s4jaqj1 said:

They did that once at the American Royal back in the 70's. I don't know if any other breeds did it besides the Herefords. I thought it was a great idea. It only lasted one year. Rumor why it was dropped was that the "right" steers didn't win in the carcass portion.

They very seldom do. Most club calves don't grade very well. Kind of defeats the purpose of what you are raising that steer to do.

This argument goes on everywhere, same in the hog industry, commercial verses show.

I often wonder why it even matters; if you breed commercial animals for the market why even worry about the show animals. If you breed PB you have to watch the trends a little but not to the extremes.

Let's look at the differences
Hair on a show steer helps with the presentation; steers with good hair have a look that the same steer with out the hair would not. It's like a yard with a lawn instead of concrete.

I do not think the commercial world is looking for that bull and cow that will click to give them that special calf. They are looking for a birth weight, weaning weight and conversion rate. Show cattle are bred one bull one cow, trying to find the match that clicks for that "good one"

Most show cattle would grade just as well in the feed lot as your commercial cattle, but when fed to reach a certain weight at a certain time, I believe too many cattle are put on a holding diet of beet pulp and outs or hay and supplements that they start to loose some of the inner marbling. Then a 1400 pound steer is weighed in at 1300 pounds and then pumped back up to it true weight, this can not help the meat quality.

We have a Main cross steer that is around 900 pounds getting 21 pounds of grain and free choice hay daily. He is gaining 100 pounds a month, which to me is an acceptable gain in my eyes.

My boys started showing commercial calves, made some money and then started paying a little more for calves bred to show. All of these steers have graded choice, with guess what, 1 commercial steer and 2 show bred steers grading prime. We do take the calves' home from the show and feed them for a couple weeks just to settle them down before they are slaughtered.

There will always be a difference between show animals and working animals, it is just what it is.

Latest posts