whats your marketing strategies for this year

Help Support CattleToday:

TB-Herefords

Reaction score
or what's working for you?

I'm kinda doin what I've done in the past; only a little erlier this year. We have a sale in September that is said to be a really good sale. I plan to wean my calves around the 1st of August. Givin a six way and eight way then boosterin with a six and eight way then a pasturella and worm. Then I plan to sell them aout two weeks after that. Normally I wean around the 25th of Aug. to the 1st of Sep. run same vac program and sale early Oct. I've always done better saling late Sep. to early Oct. Course that's through the sale barn. I've not really been a fan of the foward and until I feel I have a semi load of consistant calves I wont use Supierior. What do you all think of there satalite auctions? Has anyone used them? What's the commission through them? I've always seen them as one of the best forms of marketing just dont know cost and havn't had somethin I want to market through them yet.

Rep counts on Superior just like anywhere else. If you have a pot load and the rep it should net you the most money. Problem I had initally they always wanted to cut the herd and provide a MN required an ID tag and ship the next day, so by the time you got done working and standing the cattle there was a lot of shrink just like at the sales barn. The only way I would do it again is to work the cattle and then ship a week or two later.

Everything that is to be sold for the remainder of the year will be sold at our local 'yearling' auction on August 22, I think I have about 14 head lined up so far for that sale. I don't plan to sell anything beyond that date, unless one of my older fall cows decides to lose a calf.

I don't like selling anything after the 1st weekend in September. Prices start to plummet after that point. :cowboy:

Hold em as long as I can in hope of rain before giving them away. Probably be better off to give them away now and sell the hay to make up for it.

TB-Herefords":zlrsydqj said:
or what's working for you?

I'm kinda doin what I've done in the past; only a little erlier this year. We have a sale in September that is said to be a really good sale. I plan to wean my calves around the 1st of August. Givin a six way and eight way then boosterin with a six and eight way then a pasturella and worm. Then I plan to sell them aout two weeks after that. Normally I wean around the 25th of Aug. to the 1st of Sep. run same vac program and sale early Oct. I've always done better saling late Sep. to early Oct. Course that's through the sale barn. I've not really been a fan of the foward and until I feel I have a semi load of consistant calves I wont use Supierior. What do you all think of there satalite auctions? Has anyone used them? What's the commission through them? I've always seen them as one of the best forms of marketing just dont know cost and havn't had somethin I want to market through them yet.
If you can sell by the pot loads I would contact some of the feedlot buyers and have them buy them off of the farm you won't have any commission on them and the shrink is set at a % and that way you know what you are getting when the calves leave your place
I direct market all my hfrs and about 1/2 of my steers the other 1/2 I retain ownership on and send them to the yards

1982vett":nr6w7hl3 said:
Hold em as long as I can in hope of rain before giving them away. Probably be better off to give them away now and sell the hay to make up for it.
ill be right over

dieselbeef":zv9ys3bp said:
1982vett":zv9ys3bp said:
ill be right over
:lol2: Bring a load of rain when you come.

we had a 3 hr storm las nite tht kept us all awake,,,we only got about 2'' but about 30 mi from ere they got 8''. after 3yrs of no rain hardly were finally gittin some old fashioned storms..must be the ten yr cycle...its like when i frist got my place and cattle out here in 98..hellish storms everyday bout the same time..as bad as they are i welcome them

Latest posts