What's your idea of a perfect cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

76bar, that looks like the higher plateaus around here.. we're at 1000 ft, up in the places that aren't just trees at 3000 ft look like that though

Nesikep said:
Branded, Here was one of my widest cows, her hips barely fit through the chute,

Just before calving, Hector was born the next day... She's actually not fat, BCS of 5-6..

Her hips don't look like they were the problem! :lol2:
Around here she'd have to have a wide load sign!

JMJ Farms said:
Her hips don't look like they were the problem! :lol2:
Around here she'd have to have a wide load sign!
look at the clearance her hips have when she's in the head gate... She wasn't pregnant at that time or she'd never have fit!

I had a good laugh at her once though, she was going around a corner and bumped her side really hard on the gate post..her clearance markers (ears) weren't as wide as her load

Nesikep said:
76bar, that looks like the higher plateaus around here.. we're at 1000 ft, up in the places that aren't just trees at 3000 ft look like that though
Pics are typical of California's far Northern Coastal range. 1st pic taken at ~ 350' elevation looking up...big rock/promontory elevation is 3600'. Steep son of a gun. Semi retired to a little farm in OR elevation 450' a few years ago. Don't miss rock climbing. ;-)

76 Bar said:
Nesikep said:
Pics are typical of California's far Northern Coastal range. 1st pic taken at ~ 350' elevation looking up...big rock/promontory elevation is 3600'. Steep son of a gun. Semi retired to a little farm in OR elevation 450' a few years ago. Don't miss rock climbing. ;-)
I posted some pics in Dave's Sunday drive thread last week of a place to the north of us.. 20% grades on one of the roads

You ain't lived till you've stalled a loaded ancient stock truck on one of those vertical inclines while belatedly trying to shift into granny, the load shifted and the front of the truck reared up like Roy Rogers Trigger. :roll:

My house is at 2,700 feet. The hill behind the house is 4,700 feet. In a straight line as the crow flies it is one mile from the house to the top of the hill. The first third or so of that mile you only go up about 300 feet. After that it gets pretty steep.

My place in California was about like what Dave and 76 Bar are talking about. It was certainly hard to switch gears when I moved here and ran the same amount of cows but could gather the entire herd in fifteen minutes just by driving through them with a feed truck. Kinda took the fun out of it, too.

My place in California was about like what Dave and 76 Bar are talking about.
Apologies in advance for thread drift.
I ranched in Humboldt County for decades before relocating/significantly downsizing to OR a few years ago. You must be much younger than me LOL...My old bones don't miss the challenges associated with my previous environment. ;-) While it gives the dogs far less to do, I greatly appreciate that the present place is easily managed & shifting cattle cattle is a matter of calling.
Sensed by your posts you were a Cali expatriate. If you're willing to reveal...curious to know what county?

I bumped a thread in the coffee shop that has a picture of the hill behind my house. I was just up there for the first time this year. Coming down that hill on the quad is a bunch of fun. Low gear and riding the brakes. It feels like you feet are on the dash of the quad and that is on the road.

Hey, the Add image is back!!!! I believe this is a picture from the North side of the valley looking back at my place.

Dave said:
I bumped a thread in the coffee shop that has a picture of the hill behind my house. I was just up there for the first time this year. Coming down that hill on the quad is a bunch of fun. Low gear and riding the brakes. It feels like you feet are on the dash of the quad and that is on the road.

Hey, the Add image is back!!!! I believe this is a picture from the North side of the valley looking back at my place.

So your perfect cow, are the front legs much shorter than the back so they climb easily, or stubby back legs so they don't roll down the hill?

Nesikep said:
So your perfect cow, are the front legs much shorter than the back so they climb easily, or stubby back legs so they don't roll down the hill?

Actually we prefer them with legs shorter on one side than on the other. That way they can graze across the side hill.

Wean a calf every year, we all want that, but what's perfect for one area of the country will not always work in other areas. I see some things you all are saying that I think I would not want that cow at my place and I am sure some of you would say the same about my cattle. There is NO perfect cow for ALL places.

Latest posts