What's your idea of a perfect cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Docile, easy keeper with good udder and milk, strong maternal tendancies, calves a live calf and breeds back on time with outstanding feed conversion, good feet and longevity.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I want cows that will eat thistle and iron weeds and gain weight on both.

...and weans a calf 58.3 % of its body weight at 180 days on that same scrub brush.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Myself, I want a cow that provides a live calf at least every 12 months.

Doesn't everyone???

You are easy to please. :cboy:

Yes, but my partner will keep breeding a good registered heifer - cow 4 or 5 times AI, put a embryo or two in her and then turn her in with a bull for a few more tries. It's hard to cull something with good numbers.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Myself, I want a cow that provides a live calf at least every 12 months.

Doesn't everyone???

Yes, but my partner will keep breeding a good registered heifer - cow 4 or 5 times AI, put a embryo or two in her and then turn her in with a bull for a few more tries. It's hard to cull something with good numbers.

That is not my idea of a fertile animal. I would get frustrated and send her out.

True Grit Farms said:
Silver said:
I'm just looking for a cow that will retain her ear tag for the 10 or 12 years she's here.

Good luck on that. We had a cow loose her metal bangs tag.

Ya, I use the same metal tags so when the cow loses her plastic tag I can still identify her at some point when she's in the chute. But sometimes those go missing here as well.

bball said:
Docile, easy keeper with good udder and milk, strong maternal tendancies, calves a live calf and breeds back on time with outstanding feed conversion, good feet and longevity.

All of the above and to add- produces better than average calves in performance no mater the bull, easy calvers and calves worth keeping for breeding. Those cows, which actually pay for your bills, and not the opposite.

True Grit Farms said:
Silver said:
I'm just looking for a cow that will retain her ear tag for the 10 or 12 years she's here.

Tattoo her number in her ear and its never a problem..She looses her tag, you still have her number.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
Doesn't everyone???

That is not my idea of a fertile animal. I would get frustrated and send her out.

Bullet behind the ear.

cowgirl8 said:
True Grit Farms said:
Silver said:

Tattoo her number in her ear and its never a problem..She looses her tag, you still have her number.

Pretty sure that's not going to happen.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

Bullet behind the ear.

I agree with that TT make her Wolf Brand or Hormel chilli.
When I was running registered better drop a calf every 12 months or grow wheels. I was advertising the best genetics with my name not a cull.

Latest posts