What's your favorite way to cook...

Help Support CattleToday:

63DH8

Reaction score
BEEF!!!

My younger daughter and I like it pure. Either with salt and pepper or with Johnny's seasoning salt.

Roast/BBQ Brisket

Brisket is a tough chunk of meat. However, it's a very tasty and tender piece of meat if roasted properly. The secret is to roast it at a low heat for a long time. There is a very tough tendon/fat fiber that holds the meat together. To break down this toughness, you have to cook the meat at a low temperature, around 200-220 degrees, for one hour per pound. You'll have to know how to adjust the heat in your BBQ to maintain your temperature. Once you figure this, it's a cakewalk to cook good brisket.

You can use your favorite rub or simple use seasoning salt. Some people enjoy the taste of pure meat without any other flavoring other than the smoke. First, start your fire early in the morning, around 7-8 AM. This depends on the weight of the brisket. I start with a 10lb slab of brisket, so I figure for a good ten hour for BBQing. If you have a smaller chunk of brisket, adjust your cooking time. Once you get under two pounds of meat, I'd switch to 45 minutes a lb. Get your coals good and ashed over first. I prefer to sear the outside of the brisket first to keep the juices in, so I take advantage of this period to sear the brisket. I do not use starter fluid, so I can sear right away. You may want to wait until all the lighter fluid is cooked off before you sear if you use lighter fluid. I get the outside of the brisket good and brown afer the coals are ashed. After the brisket is good and brown, I move it to the other side of the BBQ with the fat side up. I leave the coals piled on the other side of the BBQ. I found it's actually better if I spread the coals out a little, but keep them away from the brisket. This will help keep the temperature of the fire down. Also, I place an aluminum baking pan full of water under the brisket to help keep a moist heat in the BBQ. When the meat is half way done, I wrap it in aluminum foil to keep the meat from drying out. (I place the fat side up so the fat will travel through the meat and keep it moist. I don't honestly know if this works, but it makes sense to me.)

In some parts of the country, BBQ brisket is "pulled". This means it's cooked a little bit longer so the meat falls apart when you pull it with a fork. You have shredded meat. If you prefer the meat "cut" and not pulled, don't cook the meat quite as long. About a pound an hour to a pound an hour minus an hour is good. This means for a ten pound brisket, ten hours to ten hour minus one hour is nine hours. Around the US, BBQers have different dipping sauces to dip the meat. Some places use a tomato based sauce and other places, a garlic and lemon sauce/marinade. Some people like cooking with a tomato based BBQ sauce cooked into the meat. If you wish to do this, paint the sauce on about fifteen minutes before you're done cooking or the BBQ sauce will burn. I recommend trying all of these sauces! You may find a type you like better than your old one. There is no wrong way to cook a BBQ other than the way that doesn't taste good to you.

If you are not having pulled brisket, you'll want to slice it across the grain. That is, widthwise across the brisket.

Enjoy and good BBQing!

BTW… You could roast the brisket in your oven, but you wouldn't have the charcoal BBQ flavor and the neighbors drooling. ;) My BBQer is the size of a 55 gallon drum with a five gallon drum bolted on the side for the coals.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SOS

2 through 5lbs of hamburger

One onion (size depending on how much onion flavor you like. If you don't like the taste of onions, use a small one. Not using an onion will make the SOS taste like it's missing something)

Lotsa flour!

Gallon of milk

First, chop your onion into fine pieces, then sauté your onion until it's clear.

Next, add your hamburger into the onions and fry until the hamburger is brown. While frying, add several good shakes of Worcestershire sauce. Drain most of the juices from the pan.

Add flour by the heaping tablespoon to the mixture while cooking over a low heat. When the hamburger won't take anymore flour, add milk until the texture is creamy, slightly on the runny side. This will firm up somewhat when the mixture heats up again. Stir while heating at a medium-high heat until the mixture starts to boil. Add Worcestershire sauce to taste.

I like using Johnny's Seasoning Salt when I brown the hamburger for this recipe, then add a little more about the time I add the last addition of Worcestershire sauce. How salty you want it is up to you.

This stuff tastes best when reheated. You can freeze for future use if you want. I make it by the 5 or 10 batch and freeze it in the single serving batch for my kids.

Steak

A little salt and pepper. Grill until medium rare.

Here's a tip for keeping hamburger from falling apart when grilling. fold and mix by hand until thourghly mixed. No need for eggs or other added ingredients.

When I cook, I like it to be quick, easy and good with minimal cleanup. My favorite dish is Guadeloupe Pie.

1 lb hamburger cooked in a cast iron dutch oven

drain greese

dump 1 can of veg-all (drained) in the skillet

add some chili powder and salt and pepper

spoon batter from Jiffy corn bread mix on top and bake until cornbread is done.

When you are done, you got one pot to clean and its pretty darn good too.

You can add other stuff in it if you want.

My favourite for hamburger:
1 pound cooked hamburger
2 cups cooked rice (measured before cooking)
1 huge can of tomato sauce
Packet of chili spice
Frozen corn until looks good (my usually cooking measurement :p )
1 can sliced mushroos
Put all ingredients in crock pot and come home at the end of the day to a prepared dinner.

Jogeephus":2ktqoz9p said:
When I cook, I like it to be quick, easy and good with minimal cleanup. My favorite dish is Guadeloupe Pie.

1 lb hamburger cooked in a cast iron dutch oven

drain greese

dump 1 can of veg-all (drained) in the skillet

add some chili powder and salt and pepper

spoon batter from Jiffy corn bread mix on top and bake until cornbread is done.

When you are done, you got one pot to clean and its pretty darn good too.

You can add other stuff in it if you want.

Jo what is Veg-all?

I was wondering that to, Veg-all??????

My fav is

1lb of chuck steak
2 onions
a couple carrots
a parsnip
a turnip
half of a swede
handfull of rice
a few herbs
1lb potatoes
two stock cubes
and a couple of pints of water.

put everything in to one big stock pot and cook on top of stove for a good few hours and enjoy with a crusty roll.

chrisy":1e28mpd5 said:
I was wondering that to, Veg-all??????

My fav is

half of a swede

Thud.gif
conf44.gif
Bolt.gif

chrisy":1a19cd2i said:
vl_turnipsswedes.jpg

these are what I meant by turnips and swede. the darker ones are swedes. what do you call them??????

I... I don't know. The immature male part of me would say someting that could cause a flamefest, or something that could result in getting me banned. :D The mature, respectful to women part would have to say they look like older turnips.

I thought turnips were considered animal fodder in Europe.

My favorite way to cook anything is to let someone else do it. But living as far from town as we do, that's not practical. Maybe some day I can afford a cook. :)

It is considered animal fodder in SA. I am not full of nonsense when it comes to food, but I can think of very few things I am less likely to put on my shopping list, well parsnips is one that springs to mind.

KNERSIE":3f4uk9z0 said:

It is considered animal fodder in SA. I am not full of nonsense when it comes to food, but I can think of very few things I am less likely to put on my shopping list, well parsnips is one that springs to mind.

when they get to big and woody they are cattle fodder, small baby ones are sweet and lovely in a stew or roasted. swede is nice mashed with carrot and creamed likes potatoes.

we don't get veg-all here, it is just called mixed veg, by Heinz or Cross and Blackwell. and the supermarkets have their own brands.

Use a 14 7/16 x 10 5/8 x 2 7/8 disposable aluminum pan and fill it up with an assortment of your favorite beans until pan is almost full then and add the following:

Garlic powder (as much as you dare)

2 large onion’s cut up.

Lowerys seasoning salt (same amount as garlic powder).

Good handful of brown sugar.

A good dash of your favorite bar-b-que sauce (Curley’s or Sweet Baby Ray’s works for me).

4 lbs skinless sausage cut up.

Add wet hickory wood (no bark) for flavor to charcoal.

Smoke for 6 to 8 hours on upper shelf of smoker, let the beans dry out on top and then stir before serving.

A couple more suggestions, place the bean pan on a old cookie sheet before you put it the smoker. If you don’t, bet that you will next time. Place a pan of water at the bottom of the smoker also. Almost forgot, you need to place several racks of baby back ribs between the beans and the water. Good luck!

Everything on this post sounds good!

I like to cook outside on the grill or in the smoker, if I can.

I'm cooking a roast right now....all this talk about food has made me hungry. :lol:

A nice size chuck roast with lots of pototoes and carrots cooked at a very low temp for several hours in a large baking bag.

I slow cook mine for most of the day.

I never measure anything, not even when I bake....so you may have to adjust it a little.

Place roast in large bag along with,
2 cups of water
2 packages of Au jus gravy mix
6 medium size potatoes
6 medium size carrots

I add potatoes and carrots about 2 hours after roast has been cooking.

I check every hour that I cook roast. When roast falls apart from outside to the center at the touch of a fork, and potatoes and carrots can not be picked up with a fork then it is done.

A batch of yeast rolls really makes this meal great.

I'm going to eat... ;-)

Linda Davis' Cabbage Roll Casserole
from http://www.crookandchase.com!!

Ingredients:

1 head cabbage (chopped)
1 cup uncooked rice, quick cook is best
1 can beef broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 lbs ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14 ounce) can saurkraut
Grated cheese of your choice cover casserole

Directions:

1. Brown meat and onions in a large skillet. Add paprika.

2. Heat beef broth in a medium saucepan. When broth is warm, add cream of
mushroom soup. (The soup mixes more smoothly with the broth if the broth is
heated first). Whisk the soup into the broth to break up clumps.

3. Place raw, chopped cabbage in a large casserole dish. (Linda prefers the
cabbage in this casserole to be very tender, so she lightly steams it before
placing it in the casserole dish. I like my cabbage more crunchy, so I add
it raw). Sprinkle rice over the cabbage.

4. Pour warm soup/broth mixture over the cabbage and rice.

5. Place browned beef and onions on top, then pour the tomatoes and the
sauerkraut on top.

6. Top with your favorite cheese and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

NOTE: If you are like me and your prefer regular rice rather than quick cook
rice, be sure to pre-cook or partially cook it before using it in the
casserole.

I DONT LIKE SOURKRAUT, SO I CHICKENED OUT OF PUTTING IT IN , BUT THAY SAID YOU COULD NOT TASTE IT . THIS MAKS A LOT . BUT IT IS REALY GOOD .

Latest posts