Whats your favorite stock dog breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

LRAF":17pf9gd3 said:
Boot Jack Bulls":17pf9gd3 said:
I love my Australian Cattle Dogs. Don't plan to ever own another breed.

Those look nice! I have had several but none has been as impressive as the first one I owned. The one I have now has more grit than a bulldog and is a bit touchy at times but he's old and cantankerous.
Did you name him Caustic?

I have had Aussies for over thirty years....
there are good stock dog strains within the breed but they became popular and AKC recognized and there are a lot of them now that have no idea what to do other than run and bark....

I had two who were born knowing more about cattle than I have ever learned...one was a little black gyp and she lived to gather the cattle....her sire was a national champion stock dog multiple times...

i don't use the dogs on the cattle any more but still have aussies...smart dogs...loyal, protective without being agressive or mean...I can tell em somebody is okay and they become friends....

I have had all manner of dogs in my life but will have an aussie as long as I am able to take care of one....but careful as they are smart....

my daddy used to say there is one thing you absolutely have to do before you can train a monkey.....

Be Smarter than the Monkey....

with aussies this can be a challenge. I could tell stories for hours....

Blue Heeler, Mine is the smartest dog I have ever had. Loyal and protective, too. But as PDF says tell him someone is alright and hes good. Always goes with me to feed and check cattle and watches them and me.

In our family, we each have our own ACD, as they are truely a one person dog. They will work for others, but never like they will for that one person they live for. The blue mottle with the pups I posted is mine. She is sharp and tough for a small female. She reminds me of her great great grand dam, who I imported when I was a kid. That female actually grabbed my boer buck (350 pounds) by the ear and held him in place when my daughter climbed in his pen. She hung on his head until my daughter got back out of the pen. I've raised them for a couple of decades now, and am still frequently amazed by how loyal and fiercely protective they are!

Sorry for the loss of your dog.
Over my life we have had all kinds of dogs - boxers, great danes, german shephards, mixes.
Now we have 2 chocolate labs and they are really good dogs once you get past their goofy puppy stage.

Latest posts