Whats your favorite breed of cow dog?

Help Support CattleToday:

customcattle

Reaction score
Would like to start a little discussion on peoples favorite breeds of cow dogs. I have my own opinions, which I will share, but want to know what others think.
I have really grown to like Hangin' Tree Cow Dogs. I got one two years ago and honestly don't think I will own a different breed. The ease of training my dog and the natural ability is something that I haven't seen before. I have owned a few blue heelers and a couple of Aussies. It seemed like the dogs that I had that were smart didn't have any natural ability or were too timid if a cow faced up to them. Those that weren't too timid were dumber than a post. Training them seemed like you were starting over every day.

We now have two Hangin Tree dogs (Slick and Crazy). Slick is 2 and pretty solid, Crazy is 4 months and I have started her on goats. The thing I like most about them is the fact that if stock faces up to them they don't back down. The older one is dirty tough and can battle it out with a cow and a minute later be playing with my 2 year old daughter, and I never worry about him hurting my daughters. I have been around way too many heelers that will heel people, and to many temperamental Australian Shepherds, neither of which I would trust with my kids.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, what do y'all think?

Kelpies, they are just born to work and live to work. They have a natural instinct to loop around to the head of the mob but will also work on the tail. They will bite on the nose and the front leg yet have the best temperament with kids.

Ken

I have had ACD's /heelers for almost 30 years now. I will never own another breed. I think most of the temprament problems most associate with the breed are a result of people attempting to make a working breed dog a urban/suburban pet and the same people breeding them because they can make a few bucks. People just cannot be made to understand the amount of energy a young ACD needs to burn off every day. Then they get mad when a 10 month old cattle dogs shreds their couch. If a pup is nipping at a person's heals, that dog needs to be put to work! As far as trusting them with kids, I won't have/keep/breed one I can't trust. I have a super agressive (on stock!) 10 month old female right now, and my daughter can drag her around by her tail, ear, etc. and not get attacked. I also have a very large 3 year old male who has no fear (good and bad thing!), but absolutely melts when my daughter cuddles with him. I believe ACDs are great dogs, that must be socialized and have a job.

I treated many Australian Cattle dogs being used as pets in the city and I likened them to the Australian blackfella out in the country where they worked hard and had a meagre ration they lived long healthy lives, in the city on soft food they had diabetes, renal disease, liver disease and behavoural problems all just like the blackfella on white mans food.

Ken

Latest posts