whats your choice of bull and why??

Help Support CattleToday:

kaykay

Reaction score
what kind of bull would be good to use with angus brangus mixed cows that would give good growth and acceptable birthweights???

kaykay":2so4lfni said:
what kind of bull would be good to use with angus brangus mixed cows that would give good growth and acceptable birthweights???

Blk. Angus, Red Angus, and Polled Hereford.

can you tell me more about what to expect if using hereford?? also what is the temperment of the hereford breed?? Is your choice angus or hereford??

kaykay":25cgnott said:
can you tell me more about what to expect if using hereford?? also what is the temperment of the hereford breed?? Is your choice angus or hereford??
For the most hybrid vigor, my first choice would be Red Angus or Polled Hereford. Second choice would be the Black Angus, for what you are looking for.
The Polled Herefords are, generally about the most docile cattle that you will find.
They will give you a good quality beef animal with very good quality grade, plus used on brangus X angus cows they should give a very acceptable yield grade.
Also they are a natural dehorner.

We have been leaning toward hereford since my vet told us you just cant beat hereford or angus. We are having heavy birthweights and wanted others opinions on what is their choice. Temperment also plays a BIG part to us,we dont want a fence jumper either. Sounds like the hereford has the same temperment as the Simmental and that is what we are looking for. What is the temperment of angus bulls?? I know not all will be the same.

kaykay":3625q33e said:
We have been leaning toward hereford since my vet told us you just cant beat hereford or angus. We are having heavy birthweights and wanted others opinions on what is their choice. Temperment also plays a BIG part to us,we dont want a fence jumper either. Sounds like the hereford has the same temperment as the Simmental and that is what we are looking for. What is the temperment of angus bulls?? I know not all will be the same.
IMO Most Angus have a very good disposition. There are a few bloodlines, as in most breeds that are not as docile as you would want them to be.
You have to be able to trust and have confidence in the knowledge of the breeder that you are buying a bull from, of any breed
There are very few that would be considered fence jumpers. If they were, they wouldn't be near the popular breed that they are.

Hard to beat the baldies at the sale barn. Their are some very good low birth weight Polled lines out their. If your interested in some the bloodlines I would suggest PMing txag, certherf, or myself to get several opinons.

kaykay":5v754m8x said:

A low birth weight charlais or brangus. Black angus bulls are very aggressive when another bull is around.

-Bubchub

We have a black angus bull that is very gentle. I can pet him and pull really hard on his head and he only pulls his head away from me. I just bought 20 brangusXangus and hope they produce some nice calves with our bull. Too much ear is docked here in Northeast Arkansas so I hope breeding them with an angus bull will produce calves with less ear. Most of the heifers don't have a lot of ear anyway. Just enough characteristics to tell they have some brahma influence.

Josh

Campground Cattle":2s7yayil said:
Hard to beat the baldies at the sale barn. Their are some very good low birth weight Polled lines out their. If your interested in some the bloodlines I would suggest PMing txag, certherf, or myself to get several opinons.
I agree with Campground. Herefords bring a lot of hybrid vigor to the table when crossed with other breeds. You can't go wrong with Hereford or Angus of either color, in my opinion.

Campground Cattle wrote:

I agree with Campground. Herefords bring a lot of hybrid vigor to the table when crossed with other breeds. You can't go wrong with Hereford or Angus of either color, in my opinion.

I agree. I would go with the polled Herford.

Guess I'll toot the "Longhorn" horn again...lol.

We're in heavy simmental, brangus, angus, charolais, black baldy country. Nearly all of the ranchers are old timers with experience. People with Longhorns are view with suspicion or thought to be a "little crazy."

HOWEVER, in the pat year and a half, we have sold 2 Longhorn bulls, one ready for service yearling bull, and leased out one bull for 2 months to ranchers within a 50 mile radius of us.... to 4 different ranchers. Something must be going on here...duh...or, am I missing something??

Our own Longhorn calf crop over past 2 years have produced calves ranging between 43# and 73# birthweight. All popped out like greased pigs downhill from an oil slick!

Running Arrow Bill":wda9ad5j said:
Guess I'll toot the "Longhorn" horn again...lol.

We're in heavy simmental, brangus, angus, charolais, black baldy country. Nearly all of the ranchers are old timers with experience. People with Longhorns are view with suspicion or thought to be a "little crazy."

HOWEVER, in the pat year and a half, we have sold 2 Longhorn bulls, one ready for service yearling bull, and leased out one bull for 2 months to ranchers within a 50 mile radius of us.... to 4 different ranchers. Something must be going on here...duh...or, am I missing something??

Our own Longhorn calf crop over past 2 years have produced calves ranging between 43# and 73# birthweight. All popped out like greased pigs downhill from an oil slick!

If you are not going to check your cows religously and you don't know what BW your cows were or what their parents were then by all means put a black longhorn bull on your heifers. If not for your sake your heifers, it seems their are far to many "beginners" coming on this board wanting to know what to do with paralyzed cows. 9 times out of 10 you can prevent this by not letting the heifer strain that long. "Beginners" should also not be allowed to run Simmental bulls, especially those to ignoarant to use EPD's as their selection criteria.

BLACKPOWER":1wd4rkvp said:
Running Arrow Bill":1wd4rkvp said:
"Beginners" should also not be allowed to run Simmental bulls, especially those to ignoarant to use EPD's as their selection criteria.

If you are going to insist on using this forum to continually degrade others, at least learn to spell. I'll help you with the first step. "Ignoarant" is not the correct spelling. The word is actually spelled "BLACK POWER."

bwranch":2o0n6g4l said:
BLACKPOWER":2o0n6g4l said:
Running Arrow Bill":2o0n6g4l said:
"Beginners" should also not be allowed to run Simmental bulls, especially those to ignoarant to use EPD's as their selection criteria.

If you are going to insist on using this forum to continually degrade others, at least learn to spell. I'll help you with the first step. "Ignoarant" is not the correct spelling. The word is actually spelled "BLACK POWER."

Sorry it was a typo, you old bag.

Sounds like Black Power must get a kick from putting others down. I agree with Running Arrow Bill on the CORRECT spelling of ignoarant!!!! Some people think they KNOW IT ALL, and really know very little! An act of kindness will get you alot further than slapping somebody down.....everybody was a BEGINNER at one time or another. What does he know about Simmental anyway, has HE ever had experience with them??????[/quote]

Latest posts