What's your breed of choice?

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess it depends on where you are at and what you want to raise. For our small time beef operation I love half Angus, half Holstien cows (usually gotten as calves from dairy farm holstien first time calvers)bred to a purebred Angus Bull. The cows become huge with massive frames and their milk capacity for a calf is incredible. The calf (75% Angus) cannot be separated from a pure bred Angus. They display absolutely no dairy traits.
> I'm just curious as to what
> everyone's choice breed is and
> why.

[email protected]

> why.

You will probably get as many answers on favorite breeds as there are livestock breeds! lol...we all have our favorites depending on the operation we run; exposure; locality and our personal likes...I like the South Devon breed...I do run a mixture..Hereford/Beefmaster cross; Limo and Hereford and Hereford/Angus but then I started using a Registered Black South Devon with Leachman genetics and bought a pureblood heifer and a Tarantaise/South Devon cow from them and used a Black South Devon bull and then went on to purchase my own bull who is BLack South Devon and Black Angus....the reason I like the South Devon influence even tho they aren't a well recognized breed is their disposition in both bulls and cows, very well mannered even when they have been ranged...also they have low birth weights but high weaning rates and their calves are awesome when my cross commercial cows are bred to the bulls...my new bull I won't know about till next spring but I am sure he will do well.....so as far as any particular breed it's more what you like yourself and what fits into your operation...everyone usually has a favorite!

[email protected]

The breed of choice is whatever breed works for you. They have to be appealing to the eye and give you satisfaction and pleasure. Having said that, we run commercial Angus, Red Angus, F1 Red AngusXGelbvieh and my wifes "pig" Hereford. We use Red Angus bulls on almost all the cows and most heifers. The reasons, my wife likes Herefords, that takes care of that. I like the tractability, easing calving and fleshing, calm disposition and red color. 99% of cows and heifers settle first service via AI, but most importantly, I like having them around.

dunmovin farms

> why.

My breed of choice is Simmental. Been breeding them for 30 years. Extremely large genetic gene pool to pick any "type" that fits your wants or needs. Excellent milk, growth & fertility. Sometimes a little too fertile because we may get more twins than we like. Very popular with the juniors in our areas. Generally the Simmental Junior shows have more entries than any other breed, and they have taken Supreme over all breeds at our major junior shows for many years now. Jeanne

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

Our family has been in the purebred Shorthorn business since 1932 so I guess my choice was made years ago, but I recently added Angus also. I've also have had Simmentals, Chianinas, & Salers over the years, but personally haven't found a breed I like better than my good old Shorthorns. #1 reason is their disposition. They make excellent mothers & I can't wait to see what color my calves will be when born. We still lack bull acceptance by a lot of commercial operations, but the packers love our cattle for their carcass merits. I have added Angus only because of commercial bull acceptance.

[email protected]

We raise reg. Brahmans, Simmentals, and consequently, Simbrahs.

We live in Texas, so "eared" cattle are pretty much a prerequisite. I love Simmentals, but they are a hard sell here without the Brahman influence. We don't have any trouble selling the percentage females, and feed out the steer calves. We love the Brahmans for their gentle disposition...but the purebred market is not good right now, primarily because they get docked at the auction barn. But you won't find a better momma cow

[email protected]

> why.

Great question! We have been breeding high quality Simbrah cattle for 10 years. My second favorite breed/cross is SimAngus. They are another awesome combination. But, here in Texas they don't do as well as they should.

Abrego & Abrego Cattle Co.
[email protected]

The breed of my choice is Hereford. I like them because of gentleness, fertility, maternal ability , and excellent fleshing ability. I like the popular Hereford/Brangus cross very well also.

Latest posts