What's wrong with this cow

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
Got a 5 yr old saler that calved dec 2. Really nice baby and all went well. But she's been dropping weight ever since calving and now she's dryed up and won't even stand for the calf to nurse. Calf looks great and gets by stealing from other cows.im gonna ship the cow but am just curious what u all might think is wrong. She's has free choice hay,protein,mineral,salt,and wet barley twice a week.was wormed last fall.all the others look fine.plan to keep the heifer calf as long as she's doing good.The calves have a creep feeder so that helps.

Most likely she has an infection or suffered an injury during calving. I would pack her with Sulfa boluses. Does she have any discharge or odor? And did you check her temp?

possibly hardware. pushing from calving sometimes pushes a piece of steel, that was not bothering anything, through some lining close to the heart causing inflamation

Could be just about anything. As an example I had a 7 yr old cow that went downhill similarly after caving with heifer calf getting nothing at about 8 weeks. I had to shoot her as she got down and couldn't get up with the weight of ascites (fluid)in her belly. I expected maybe hardware but had cancer all through her abdomin. The pathology came back as a sarcoma or mesothelioma which I suspect it was mesothelioma.
Ken

Yea I am thinking hardware too but would that cause her to dry up? She eats right along with the rest of them. Shes goin to town Thursday.

I'd worry about Johnes even if her stools were normal. I have seen some Johnes cows lose weight without diarrhea. Test her before you ship her, you may not want that heifer if she is positive and you certainly want to know if you have introduced it into your herd. Worst (or best) thing that happens is you get a negative result.

How about having your veterinarian examine her?
That'd be my plan. You need a hands-on exam.

Faceless names on an internet board can only guess - you're getting some good guesses/suggestions, but they're just that - guesses.
Hardware, uterine infection, displaced abomasum, intussusception, Johne's, lymphosarcoma, etc., etc. Possibilities, but just guesses.

Lucky_P":wzepze9l said:
How about having your veterinarian examine her?
That'd be my plan. You need a hands-on exam.

Faceless names on an internet board can only guess - you're getting some good guesses/suggestions, but they're just that - guesses.
Hardware, uterine infection, displaced abomasum, intussusception, Johne's, lymphosarcoma, etc., etc. Possibilities, but just guesses.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

It could be something minor or not. I was thinking poss. Johnes or Hardware, but you won't know for sure w/out a vet.

Katherine

I took her to the sale thursday and had the vet check her and it was hardware. Went ahead and sold her. She weighed 1150 and brought .91.