What's this?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I saw this yesterday on one of my cows. I don't think its lice as I treated for that in early spring and she's not showing it anywhere else. Based on the location it could be some type of rubbing? Should I treat it?

Ringworm. We get it on some of the calves, occasionally on a cow. Although not technically caused by a "worm". It is a fungus and is frequently seen on calves late winter, early spring. It is supposed to be contagious but we find it seems to affect only a few in a group. Easy way to get rid of it is to "smother it". We use either an iodine solution put on with a "paintbrush" and really soaked into the skin; or use vaseline and smother the spot on the skin so that it is completely covered. They make other topical solutions for it, but usually one or two applications of the iodine and they are growing new hair in a couple of weeks.

farmerjan":21y7l9je said:
Ringworm. We get it on some of the calves, occasionally on a cow. Although not technically caused by a "worm". It is a fungus and is frequently seen on calves late winter, early spring. It is supposed to be contagious but we find it seems to affect only a few in a group. Easy way to get rid of it is to "smother it". We use either an iodine solution put on with a "paintbrush" and really soaked into the skin; or use vaseline and smother the spot on the skin so that it is completely covered. They make other topical solutions for it, but usually one or two applications of the iodine and they are growing new hair in a couple of weeks.

In the past, I've used Captan on horses that had it. It worked very well! Its a fungicide for plants. I had a vet suggest it.

I am not convinced it is ringworm. Looks more like a lice area rubbed off - but pictures are deceiving. RW should have crustie white all over the area. Obviously, we get it - as FJ suggested, vaseline works great, after I dose the area with clorox. Normally, I scrape the heck out of the area, even making it bleed, getting off all the crust. Then clorox, then vaseline several times.
Benign neglect also works great - but not if you want to show. (Thanks Dun)

Latest posts