whats the weather like at your place?

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer":jszyiy3a said:
This has been about the wierdist summer I can remember

You and me both! High temp today was 70, with a cool north wind. I'm wearing my chamois shirt, just like February. Very, very cool summer. Lots of rain here, too. The corn crop (I don't grow, I observe) is late planted and vulnerable to early frost, but if it makes it will set records.
The hay crop is plentiful and generally low quality, from late cutting (waiting on the forecast to clear and then getting it wet anyway).

The "rain" went around us AGAIN! :mad: It's amazing to watch the radar. However,the wind dosen't have quite that "open brick kiln door"effect.

MO_cows":fme1jyn3 said:
We have had the wettest, coolest summer I can remember. I hate to even say this to you drought-stricken folks in Texas and elsewhere, but our grass never went dormant this year. We've got red and white clover out the wazoo; we usually have a patch of white clover here and there and no red clover.

Usually, the last half of July and first half of August are our "dog days" of summer, very hot and humid but no rain so everything burns up. Not this year. We're still mowing the freakin' lawn at least once a week. I planted seedling trees this spring and have only had to water them once. It is supposed to get down into the 50's tonight and be in the 70's tomorrow. Normal would be 70's at night and 90's in the daytime.
I have to agree. It actually seems to rain every 2 or 3 days. Our grass really isn't very good, pretty washy, and doesn't seem to last very long. Usually done haying but most are still working on the first cutting, the guys say they will just stop haying when they climb in the combines. I just don't understand why you'all that need rain can't get some of ours, I'd send it if I knew how. Last Sun. and Mon. we got 8.3 inches. gs

OT we got 2 cuttings off of our hay barley. :shock: Got 106 bales on the first and all the stuff that was knocked down by the hail came back and made over 60 bales.
The storms have been staying south of us, thank goodness. A lot of hot lighting in them.

Heard that the elevators have been turning back quite a bit of sprouted stuff.

kenny thomas":or3ijj2q said:
How do you grow hay or anything else with 11.5" of rain per year. Is everything irrigated?

Some is irrigated- the stuff we get two cuttings off from is flood irrigated...But many years you get a great dryland hay cutting if the rains come at the right time...This year the dry June kept a lot of the grass from getting good early growth in the dryland hayfields...The deep rooted alfalfa grew good- but the grass got stunted some...
Most of it is in when the moisture comes- as we've had good wheat, hay, and pasture years with less than 10 inches-- if it comes at the right time....

The good thing this year is the late thunder storms have kept all the water holes and reservoirs full so the cattle aren't having to walk far to find water...

Australian":1vgwfwvf said:
Its about 10 degrees celcius above what it should be. Its been rather hot here today.Even now at 9.30 pm its 14c at this time of the year it should be about 2/4c. Ten spits of rain this morning then cleared to a hot sunny day.

Well- an El Nino has developed in the Pacific-and appears to be strengthening---which historically usually means a warmer winter across North America- the northern States--especially in the Central Plains... :) :)

So far that is what the long run forecast is predicting- with much above average chances for a warmer than normal winter in Montana and the Dakotas...Dry Pacific northwest- and wet for the south- especially Texas...
And it historically/statistically usually means a less severe hurricane season for folks on the east coast and gulf- altho it can mean more of those that do show up hit the northeast of the US (Bill :???: ) ....

But it often means hot and dry summers (droughts) for Australia.. :(

But it often means hot and dry summers (droughts) for Australia..

... and the summer rainfall areas of South Africa, while cut off lows often causes out of season floods in the winter rainfall areas.

Weather here is typical for the time of year, cold nights with frost most mornings, pleasant days with lots of wind, its not dry, but nothing is growing yet and grazing is very sparse. The typical green drought we experience if we had a late start to our winter rainfall season. I'm ready for spring and I'm sure the cattle are too.

got a good rain saturday night right at dark...already had fair moisture in the ground...Sunday morning was maybe the nicest August morning I can ever remember..59 degrees light north breeze, cattle in good grass, and my 4 mth. old grandson stayed all day, I pulled him in his wagon until I was sore...great day...

Thunderstorm moved in last night before dark- only gave us straight down rain--but I guess some areas east of us got golf ball size hail and 60mph winds..They had a tornado warning on til 1AM.....
I didn't think we'd got as much rain as we did til I got stuck in the corral trying to move a feeder.... Looked in the gauge and we had .3- and on top of what we've gotten in the last week, I'm not sure my corrals will ever get dried out enough to finish cleaning them..

The radar is showing some parts north and east of me got an inch or two of rain last night...Maybe even more over north of Scobey- and in southern Saskatchewan....

Sprinking again this morning- and looks like it could just turn loose any minute....Temp is only 62- but humidity must be 99.9% as its pure hazy/muggy out..

Latest posts