Whats the longest you have used a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
Just courious how long you guys have gotten out of a bull. The best I ever did was 8 years. I always had him with my Hereford cows and he was Angus. Whats the saying...inbreeding is line breeding! :lol:

Anyhow, I have a dang good bull that I have used since 2007. Almost too long to fit in the chute to give the silver bullet test to, but got it done this year. He is a heiffer bull. Used him as clean up this year plus about 30 cows. Had a half brother to him that was a year older, but he bit the dust last year due to a sole ulcer. Ive been told that like their sheaths get weaker as they get older or basicly they can get injured more easily with age. Is that true or are the bull breeders trying to sell bulls. Plus I have a bull a year younger that I don't like as well phenotypically. Pedigree isn't too bad. Had to pick through some left overs one year. So trying to figure out if Im going to dump one this year which one to go with.

The 07 bull is proably going to go this year I sopose. If I cant use him on heiffers due to inbreeding I better not put him out with the cows either. Plus just pure size on top of the heiffers. Just when your adding numbers to your heard its hard to keep buying bulls at these prices when you don't have the weigh up to kick back in like everybody else does.

8 or 9. same deal, used him on heifers, then decided to use him on the main herd.

I have had 2 different bulls that were used until the age of 13. Both were used as yearlings and every year after that on 30-40 head. Most of their heifers were sold as replacement seedstock, so never got t keep more than a handful for my own use.

Ya the one that was 8 when he went was kinda that way. He made sure all my cows were bread, then double checked the neighboorhood. Was a pain to get back in and keep in. He would know which water holes were too deep for the 4 wheeler or go in the crick with trees or a shelterbelt, etc. So far both of this bulls have been very easy to work with, just running out of places to use him at very easily. I sure did like the calves him or his 1/2 brother did on some of my heiffers last year. My luck it was proablly the bull that went last year. Put them cows in with him this year so we will see.

With the current bull prices how can you keep a bull over 3-4 years and Not Turn over newer bulls and Newer Genetics for 20-35% of the bull.

When cull prices are at 90 cents how can you not trade up a bull for $1000 and get a younger bull for another 2 or 3 years plus ...

Cull bull prices haven't always been 90 cents. And, new bull prices aren't that cheap either if you get a good one to replace the one you think enough of to keep 8-9 years.

Sizmic

sizmic":6csknogu said:
Cull bull prices haven't always been 90 cents. And, new bull prices aren't that cheap either if you get a good one to replace the one you think enough of to keep 8-9 years.

Sizmic

Exactly. Plus the last few years Ive been keeping enough heiffers that I needed to buy a new bull to cover them. Not just replace an older one. Accually he was sold on a sale with a healed up bump on the knee. They announced on the block. Guy bought him then changed his mind. So I got him for $2500. Id come close to getting that much back out of him, plus then you figure the use of him as well. Like Sizmic said, depending on where you go you have to drop a good chunk of change for a good one. Usually I cant afford the ones I like! :lol: Plus the yearling I bought this year injured his tool, so ya Ill get some credit, but then its another one to replace as well. Guess I hope my AI percentage is sweet! That isnt cheap either. :x Then I hate not keeping the AI daughters due to all the work and expence, but you cant keep them all either. Guess its time for heard liquidation...not.

Dusty":1cksujz2 said:
With the current bull prices how can you keep a bull over 3-4 years and Not Turn over newer bulls and Newer Genetics for 20-35% of the bull.

When cull prices are at 90 cents how can you not trade up a bull for $1000 and get a younger bull for another 2 or 3 years plus ...
Why do you need newer genetics? How do u conclude that using newer genetics is trading up?

Every generation is better then the past. If they are bred right they should be.. Even in closed herds Younger genetics are the best way to improve and further a herd...

Just look at the Angus Assocation now you can bred 52 cows in 52 weeks to a possible 52 Trait leaders.. A little extreme i know...

But if your using lets say Net Worth sons and Now you can upgrade to providence sons who should be longer, add 30lbs to weights and daughters with tighter more correct necklines your improving .. While having the ability to line bred the two and have a better end product then using just the Net Worth sons.. and as business men we have to do this with minimal costs... Right Now 90 is good for kill bull take it and run..

Latest posts