Whats the favorite time of year on your farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Mine is right before the hay is ready to cut. I like to look out at the fields and they are just a swaying in the breeze.

GMN

I have two times........

First is autumn.....I breed for Fall calves and love watching the youngins in the fields when the Texas weather is cooler and the sunsets are so purdy.

Second is after baling........I love the smell freshly mowed and baled fields, as well as the look.........almost as if the fields were manicured. (I also take my allergy meds during this period). :cboy:

randiliana":1v86v4b0 said:
Calving time, which for us is March and April. A surprise almost every day. What more can you ask for......

That is one of my 2 favorites. The other is on October or November when we finally load last years calves on the trailer and get the pain in the butts out of here.

dun":48pl59qa said:
..................when we finally load last years calves on the trailer and get the pain in the butts out of here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :nod:

Right now is not bad. With the rains we are getting this weekend, spring greeup is about to pop. Just before the hay is ready to cut is real pretty, as is after it is baled and the bales dot the field all lined up. But how about when the barn is all filled up? I like planting time. Going back and forth across the field, watching the soil turn, gives you plenty of time to think. But when the seeds sprout and the soil comes to life, the crops growing strong (just had a Green Acres flashback) what a wonderful time. Oh and then checking that cow that looks like she should have had a calf weeks ago and finally, there she is with her calf: hey, where did that calf come from? So busy watching the first cow that I missed the second makes for a nice surprise. But a trailor load of calves leaving to feed the bank is hard to beat.

But for me, after 26 years working in construction, EVERY day on the farm is my favorite.

Boy that is a tough one.
I can't decide between calving when the calves are running through the hay and sliding everywhere. Or when the grass is green and so is all of the crops that are up. Or when the grain fields are all golden. Or the first snow fall of the year. Or after a storm with a double rainbow in the sky.

Or when spring is here, and the redbud trees are blooming the the brilliant lavendar buds.

Gail

Fall is the best time in my opinion, particularly October. The sky is a deep azure blue and the smell of the dried leaves is wonderful. The fescue is greening up and growing, and the hickories are gold, the sweeetgums are gold and scarlet, the maples are ablaze with brilliant reds and yellows, and the golden rods have beautiful plumes pointed toward the sky. The creek is a mosaic of leaves laying on top of the water which is usually crystal clear in the Fall. Alabama in Autumn can't be beat!

Late September early October. Weather is just nice and there is a lull in the work load as I shift to a different gear.

I like from mid March to June this is time of renew. From June until end of October is ok except for chiggers, tick and occasional snake. Winter are very long and short days. Have to stay close to home make sure every thing get fed and water is not frozen.

i like the day the first new calf arrives and also the first day i turn cows in on the rye grass.

(redbuds are blooming here, they look real nice this year)

Edit: i meant Red Maples, not redbuds.

I kinda enjoy the day after the last day I really need to feed hay. Sometimes you ain't sure if it is the time.

I have three:
1) The day we get our first calf of the year.
2) The day we get our last calf of the year.
3) The day we ship out our calves to auction - there's always the one fence crawler that I love to see get on the trailer! :banana:

somn":3acq8ch2 said:
Every morning that I wake up. When that stops happening it will be a bad day.

Good post.

I wish to revise my previous post. I'll still be glad to get through with feeding hay..... but only if i know it on earth.

Mine is kind of corny, but I love when the babies arrive. Either calves, foals, or goats (future). There's something satisfying about knowing your hard work help put these animals here. Kind of a contradiction of sorts, I love the babies the most, but I have no problem loading them up to go to the slaughterhouse. Babies also arrive with Spring, which I like mostly because I hate winter.

Today was pretty close to my favorite day. It's been stormy and overcast for about the last 2 or 3 days. Woke up this morning and the sun is shining, the ground is moist, and the temp is cool. Just a beautiful day. I can almost hear the ryegrass growing in the pasture. :)

Latest posts