Whats the deal with Grazon

Help Support CattleToday:

There were two versions of Grazon. Grazon P+D (the original Grazon) is no longer manufactured by Corteva (formerly Dow). I believe it is off patent. There are generics available manufactured by others. Still a restricted herbicide (license required). Grazon Next HL is still available from Corteva, I believe.

Sorry, I was not clear, I was told that Grazon Next HL was not available at my local Coop.
They quit stocking Grazon P+D years ago but would order it as a license is required in certain Tennessee, county's.

Sorry, I was not clear, I was told that Grazon Next HL was not available at my local Coop.
They quit stocking Grazon P+D years ago but would order it as a license is required in certain Tennessee, county's.
Sounds like a store deal, not the product as a whole. I just sprayed with some and the guy I buy from was getting several pallets full delivered as we were talking.

And now the rest of the story, well maybe part of it. And I quote the counter salesman.
"We will no longer stock GrazonNext, but will order for you, We are replacing it with DuraCor and stocking it, you use 1gal per 300 gal spray tank, and it costs $120.00 per gal".

I was going go to Rural King but Morristown is out of Grazon next, per their web site, now what????
Duracor is a new one for me, got to find out more about if.

And now the rest of the story, well maybe part of it. And I quote the counter salesman.
"We will no longer stock GrazonNext, but will order for you, We are replacing it with DuraCor and stocking it, you use 1gal per 300 gal spray tank, and it costs $120.00 per gal".

I was going go to Rural King but Morristown is out of Grazon next, per their web site, now what????
I used DuraCor this year. I can't agree with his statement about 1 gallon per 300 gallon spray tank. You could be spraying 40 gallons per acre or 10 gallons per acre depending on nozzles, speed and pressure. Amount of herbicide has to be based on acres covered per tank, not just size of tank. If I remember correctly, the Duracor rate is 12 to 20 oz per acre depending on the weed type. I paid $108 per gallon. Whereas most herbicides look and pour like oil and have a smell, Duracor looks like chocolate milk.

As usual with Dow (Corteva) products, once they get close to patent expiration they come out with a new product that is supposedly better but always more expensive. When using the middle of the recommended ranges from this site and simme's cost

The math works out as 16 oz of Duracor per acre x .84375 per oz = $13.50 per acre plus surfactant. Ouch
A 300 gallon tank will make 20 acres at 15 gallon per acre. 20 x 13.50 =$270 per tank. Double ouch

The mix I used this year which was a Dicamba/ 2 4 D product (Brash) plus 1/2 oz of Cimmarron Plus came out to about $7.50 per acre including the surf.

I was very pleased with the results of this mix but you have to be a little more careful with it around cotton and you will need a license to buy it. On my land that is surrounded by cotton, I spray it in early April which is before the cotton guys plant to avoid any conflict.

I used DuraCor this year. I can't agree with his statement about 1 gallon per 300 gallon spray tank. You could be spraying 40 gallons per acre or 10 gallons per acre depending on nozzles, speed and pressure. Amount of herbicide has to be based on acres covered per tank, not just size of tank. If I remember correctly, the Duracor rate is 12 to 20 oz per acre depending on the weed type. I paid $108 per gallon. Whereas most herbicides look and pour like oil and have a smell, Duracor looks like chocolate milk.
This was a 3-4 person conversation, 2 had 300gal sprays, and most said they were spraying about 10a+- / 1 jug of grazon, so about 30 gal h2o/ 25-26 oz grazon per a. So 1 gal Duracor, 300gal, 10a+-, =12+oz per a.

Last edited:
Just like medicines, the generics (off patent) are always going to be cheaper than the new name-brand stuff. The generics just have a manufacturing cost plus profit. The new stuff has to recoup all the development costs, permitting costs, marketing cost, etc. Even has to include the development costs for those products that did not pan out. All those costs have to be paid while the patent is still in place. Corteva/Dow has brought many great herbicides to market.

I used DuraCor on horsenettle hoping for better results than I got with GrazonNext. For general purpose broadleaf weed control and dogfennel control in pastures, I use Weedmaster generic. (2,4D + Dicamba). No license required here for 2,4D. My understanding is that there are cotton varieties now available that are resistant to 2,4D and Dicamba.

I will be stoping in there tomorrow afternoon for Dog Food and some diesel additive. I will look to see whether they have Grazon or not. If they don't have it. call Morristown Milling they are a Southern States affiliate.

I will be stoping in there tomorrow afternoon for Dog Food and some diesel additive. I will look to see whether they have Grazon or not. If they don't have it. call Morristown Milling they are a Southern States affiliate.
For you guys in the Morristown TN are the TN coop in Newport is pretty hard to beat.

I had some things I was not getting a good kill on with Grazon Next and my chemical guy suggested a better surfactant and upping the amount of of surfactant. It made a world of difference on the kill and didnt add hardly any thing to the overall cost.
What did you use for surfactant?

Every chemical distributor has their own in house brands of surf. Its a high margin product for them. Most are about the same quality so the amount you use is critical to your results. The waxy leaf stuff like Brute is describing does require a heavier dose and even then, it sometimes doesn't work very well.
Green briar and cedar elms are my biggest problems. Both are waxy leaf plants that are difficult to kill. For me, success is just keeping the big patches of them from getting bigger. I brew up, a toxic mix of Surmount, Tordon, and Remedy plus a double dose of surfactant that works pretty well. Some good goats would probably be a better option.

I cant really attest to if it was increasing the dose or using the different one that actually made the difference. Just know it did help.

Spot spraying is not feasible for me a lot of times and I cant let surmount, tordon, or any of the other heavy hitters fly out our spray rigs with out killing trees. :)

Latest posts