WHats the deal between angus and Hereford.

Help Support CattleToday:

hereford obsesed

Reaction score
Why do the Hereford breeders And Angus breeders always compete on who is the better breed. I have friend at school and we always say that one will beat the other at over all breed. Why does it always come down to whos breed is the best Herefords Or Angus. The breeds have been know to be the best. Sorry Shorthorn breeders. LOL[/b]

Son how long you been messin with cows thats half the fun. Thank God we don't just have one breed what we argue over morning coffee at the feed store.

FWIW regarding Hereford vs. Angus. Quite a while back I read a book or an article on the Blizzard of 1899. The thing I remember most about it was the statement that when the cattlemen finally were able to go check on their herds (think it was about two weeks) the majority of cattle that survived were Hereford.

Well I think what one doesn't have the other does.. and so on. They kinda compliment each other & do good together. Why do you think we have Black baldies now??? It's what people prefer... I prefer Hereford cause they are easy to handle, purty, good beef, & so on. I don't think herefords get enough credit. But both breeds have been around for a long time.
Ellie May

its simply a matter of money, good marketing of your product. who makes the best truck, chevy, ford, or dodge. each has their own marketing program and try to get the message across they have the best truck.

Anonymous":15p4ps9v said:
its simply a matter of money, good marketing of your product. who makes the best truck, chevy, ford, or dodge. each has their own marketing program and try to get the message across they have the best truck.

I know of no Hereford or Angus Breeders in Nebraska who compete with each other. The two breeds compliment each other so well and you don't think the bull sellers know this. You need take a trip to real cow country before you make such foolish assumptions.

BLACKPOWER":3h1b1hz8 said:
Anonymous":3h1b1hz8 said:

I know of no Hereford or Angus Breeders in Nebraska who compete with each other. The two breeds compliment each other so well and you don't think the bull sellers know this. You need take a trip to real cow country before you make such foolish assumptions.

I will bite! I do not know enough to take a stand one way or the other. I have always loved the look of the polled herefords and always said that when I got into the business that is what I would run. Then while setting at the auctions It was obvious that any black (Particularly Angus) cattle brought more money. Then I started hearing nightmares about pinkeye. My first bunch of Cow/Calf Pairs were balcnk angus. For me it was basic economics, but I still love the herefords. Can someone tell me more about making certain that I have my Angus in as many programs as possible to earn higher premiuims ? CAB, etc

the reason black baldies are so " popular " is because of dumb order buyers. . . . .
geneticly its the most useless cross you can make , but it makes dumb people feel smart because any moron can tell what a black baldie is
if you know anything about genitics you should understand that the more diverse the genetic make up the the greater the HV ( ill keep it simple for you young uneducated producers ) , angus and herford are both english breed , they both are moderate frame grade well and milk average and , any difference in these traits are strickly humane induced malfunctions . in order to produce the most effecient animals you must cross with other breeds according to youre enviromental conditions. please keep trying to get black hided animals it will give me a much bigger market for my carcasses in the future . but dont feel bad , you black baldie folks can rest assured there will always be a market for junk over fat cattle ( mcdanalds dont mind paying for fat .

rafter fp":3amc3ps7 said:
the reason black baldies are so " popular " is because of dumb order buyers. . . . .
geneticly its the most useless cross you can make , but it makes dumb people feel smart because any moron can tell what a black baldie is
if you know anything about genitics you should understand that the more diverse the genetic make up the the greater the HV ( ill keep it simple for you young uneducated producers ) , angus and herford are both english breed , they both are moderate frame grade well and milk average and , any difference in these traits are strickly humane induced malfunctions . in order to produce the most effecient animals you must cross with other breeds according to youre enviromental conditions. please keep trying to get black hided animals it will give me a much bigger market for my carcasses in the future . but dont feel bad , you black baldie folks can rest assured there will always be a market for junk over fat cattle ( mcdanalds dont mind paying for fat .

Don't spread that crap around here. Order buyers are dispatched by the feed yards you don't think they know what there buying? I raise black baldy cattle and I doubt your carcass data can compare to mine most likely you don't even have any, your blind faith assumptions are the cornerstone to your BS rant.

BLACKPOWER":sgf4gy3v said:
rafter fp":sgf4gy3v said:

Don't spread that crap around here. Order buyers are dispatched by the feed yards you don't think they know what there buying? I raise black baldy cattle and I doubt your carcass data can compare to mine most likely you don't even have any, your blind faith assumptions are the cornerstone to your BS rant.

Consistency is one of the biggest consumer complaints. When breeding those 8-way crossed up mutts, you may have more HV but you don't have consistency. They'll land all over the grid with no accuracy.

I'll try to kep this simple so that those of that type of mind can understand. Now don't be offended. What an idiot!

dun

rafter fp":2y6m4ha4 said:

i dont get customer complaints i retain ownership on my product until its slaughtered , so i know all about effeciency and consistency . as for youre 8 way cross comment , HV is maximized on the fourth cross not eight and i never said anything bad about angus or hererford cattle its the idiots chasing fads that have done the damage to our industry and gene pools.

how in the hell does a angus and herford cross compliment each other ???? it makes no damn sence they are essentialy the same dam animal :?

old timer":u5d172m0 said:
how in the hell does a angus and herford cross compliment each other ???? it makes no damn sence they are essentialy the same dam animal :?

Just to let you know that that old timer is not me- I have both herefords and angus and save most of the black baldy heifers for replacements- personal opinion is the the F1 black baldy is one of the best cows around for our range conditions.

rafter fp":2puh1akb said:
i dont get customer complaints i retain ownership on my product until its slaughtered , so i know all about effeciency and consistency . as for youre 8 way cross comment , HV is maximized on the fourth cross not eight and i never said anything bad about angus or hererford cattle its the idiots chasing fads that have done the damage to our industry and gene pools.
How many sattle are you retaining ownership on and what is your customer base.
Also; who are the idiots that are chasing the fads that are doing damage to our industry and gene pools.

la4angus":32pqlhua said:
rafter fp":32pqlhua said:
How many sattle are you retaining ownership on and what is your customer base.
Also; who are the idiots that are chasing the fads that are doing damage to our industry and gene pools.

Customer complaints=average person buying meat at the grocery store .........one steak is tender, the other steak out of the same package is not.

Why don't you give us some of the carcass data from your last set of calves?

was a kid when grandpa brought the first domino bloodline into a moderate polled herford herd. seemed like we pulled every calf that hit the ground that year and lost several cows. aren't herford shows now limiting frame size? winning show steers rarely win carcass competitions. big continentals are certainly getting crossed into smaller framed animals on commercial operations where feed costs are a factor. but those 2300 lb bulls sure draw attenton at shows.

I think that herefords and Angus are very different , and that DNA will show that in the near furture...That is why they fit so well to together....Herefords are truly English cattle, and probly are closer to the Cont. than the native british cattle. Just the same as the English people, they are not true great britans but imports. The Angus cattle on the other hand are a true Scotland bases anamils, that is probly why they were to be Black.( to make sure the Scots cattle were not confused with the Red English breed). After all there are hunderds of years of hatered between the scots and english...ALF