whats the cause of this??

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
what the cause of having blood and mucus in a steer pie?? one of my show steers is passing a little bit of blood and mucus in his poo and i dont know why. he eats and acts fine. i dont think hes been wormed yet unfortunetly but were doin that stuff monday. he weighs about 700 pounds. hes not acting sick or nothing so thats why i wonder what it is and why and what i should do?

sainty01

Reaction score
Cocidiosis. <---Most likely.

Need to give him Deccox or Corid. Contact a vet.

Moocow11

Reaction score
i gusse because we have never had one have we have had heifers get it though but never stters so i gusse i just awsomed

OP
cattleluvr18

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
researched Cocidiosis. doesnt seem like what he has. dewormed monday. but i havent been able to go check anything out b/c of my dumb freakin foot. :mad:

dun

Reaction score
cattleluvr18":3jkb7ii5 said:
researched Cocidiosis. doesnt seem like what he has. dewormed monday. but i havent been able to go check anything out b/c of my dumb freakin foot. :mad:

Take a fresh stool sample to the vet and have them check it for coccidiosis. Should only run a couple of bucks.

dun

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't worry about it if the steer is eating and acting normal. I've had calves that do that periodically without any ill affects. I think it may have something to do with the diet.

OP
cattleluvr18

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
Proverbs 12:10":25fby2p1 said:
cattleluvr18":25fby2p1 said:
but i havent been able to go check anything out b/c of my dumb freakin foot. :mad:

What...cow step on it?
close. ya know how the ground gets really uneven when its muddy and crap from them walkin around. well i have weak ankles and walkin down a hill and my ankle kinda twisted around and i tore a tenden. wow that hurt like a b!tch. im the third one in my class to be on crutches in the past 2 weeks. and my class is small. just my luck. didnt take long to throw out those dumb things. i just wear a brace thingy now and kinda hobble along.

msscamp

Reaction score
cattleluvr18":1dkskcx8 said:
what the cause of having blood and mucus in a steer pie?? one of my show steers is passing a little bit of blood and mucus in his poo and i dont know why.

Given the fact that this is a show steer - and show steer's are often pushed pretty hard to gain weight - coupled with the fact that he is eating and acting normally, I believe I would be re-evaluating what I was feeding him.

Susie David

Reaction score
IMO...I'd watch him for a day or two and see if this continues...could have scrtached a part of the digestive tract with something in his groceries. We get this occasionally, find a bit of blood in a plop and then don't see another for months.
And that's just my two bits worth...asked for or not. DMc

OP
cattleluvr18

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
havnt noticed anything so im thinking it passed. yeah, hes getting pushed, he needs to gain quite a bit yet. but hes not getting pushed any harder then my steer who only needs to gain a little. oh well, it passed.

hey susie, i posted this for answers, so your two bits was worth it.

rochelle

Reaction score
what is the cause of a cow that dies suddenly? Found the cow dead, bleeding from his mouth, nose and rectum

OP
cattleluvr18

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
rochelle":2dt7xw01 said:
what is the cause of a cow that dies suddenly? Found the cow dead, bleeding from his mouth, nose and rectum

hmm i dont know. maybe something popped internally? i would be paying attention to your post.

sainty01

Reaction score
Moocow- YES, steers can get cocidiosis.

Cattleluvr- Not sure what you found for information about cocidiosis, but the details you gave, 99% sure it is cocidiosis.

(Taking a stool sample to your vet was a good suggestion.)

cowvet

Reaction score
rochelle":2xbp3xcn said:

Not saying it is or isn't - but anthrax does that!

Latest posts