Whats the best way to run temparary pasture lines.

Help Support CattleToday:

hersh

Reaction score
There are a couple diff ropes out there, are they all the same. I think I would feel safer with the 11 guage wire but it seems like it would be hard to roll up. As far as posts do we need to go with the t posts or will the little wire posts work? the 2 hay feilds I want to run on is 5 acre and the other is 8 acre and both ca be run off my lot charger.

Depends on thw winds in your area. We use polywire, 9 metal strands, you could also use poly rope, the more conductors the better or polytape. The rope and tape chafe somehting awfull with the einds we get and the wores break. We've been using the same polywire for 8-9 years. A plastic tread in post or the light weight fiberglass ones you drive in will work. If you go with fiberglass make sure it's uv stabilized. Except for the ends, you're not using the posts for strength, just to hold the wire off the ground

For temporary electric fences, we use rebar for the posts, and I think it is the 18 gauge wire. If it is electric there should be nothing leaning on it. So the small stuff will work. It is just that it is a bit harder for them to see.

I am with Dun.

The fiberglass or plastic post have a lot less shorting problems than rebar or steel posts.

I like the plastic posts I get from Kencove fencing. They are tougher than what is available locally at the feed stores and hold up a lot longer.

I want to try the power flex posts from Power Flex fence but have not had a need for them yet.

I don't prefer fiberglass as they end up shedding into my hands after they get old and worn.

pdfangus":2x9cst6r said:
I don't prefer fiberglass as they end up shedding into my hands after they get old and worn.

Kencove has a coated fiberglass post that eliminates the problem. We've used them for 5 years now and they're as good as they were when I firsted using them. There a little more per post but what you save in leather gloves makes up for the extra cost.
They're the UV stabiliized posts I mentioned.

Latest posts