What's the Best Way to Make a Watched Cow Calve...

Help Support CattleToday:

I know of two ways.

Dun got the first one.
The other is impractical if she's not a dairy cow. (Milking can bring on calving if she's close)

Funny that.
Method one works because it removes stress.
Method two works because it confuses the hormones.
Method three works because it increases stress.

Nothing like a bit of consistency :)

Guess I need to stop watching mine then. Woke up at 4 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep because I was thinking about her. Figured if that was happening then they're might be something to it, so I got dressed and drove to the farm in the rain. Walked in the barn and sure nuff, she's laying there wondering what the he!! I'm doing there that time of morning. Never did get back to sleep.

I try to stick with method #1 to the point where they feel like they're not being watched at all because most of the time they're not. Most of the time it works.

Well, all good suggestions, but the best way is to let the cow out of the barn when it is -20 (or so) she will almost always calve within a couple of hours.... Then you get the fun of dragging a wet, slimy calf back into the barn so it doesn't freeze to death...

Try to run to town for tractor parts, shred a tire on the truck and spend three hours getting it fixed. At least it worked for me.