What's the best way to "liquidate" a small herd?

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right spot for this question, but here goes...We've decided to sell off the herd of Shorthorns we have. 5 cows,5 calves, and a bull. All are registered with WHR lineage. Its all good stock and all in the 3-5 year range.Our business model was club calves and we've done quite well. I have one calf right now that will be a great show calf.(she should bring 2k)..I'd rather not run them through an auction and would prefer to sell them as a lot. Anyone have any thoughts????
We've decided to sell now because we lost the lease land we had and we have over-grazed our property. Last years winter rains here in Texas just killed us. I need a year to re-seed and get some more lease land set... Thanks

Where in Tx are you located, selling at auction you will receive market value and pay commission, check out craigs list under farm and garden , I see catttle listed with pictures quite often there and it is no charge to list and cattle can be listed all over Tx in different cities

I put an ad on the Dallas Craigslist. I am north of McKinney. I have enough hay to winter them, so I'm not concerned or desperate to sell them right away. Actually I did good on hay. I have about 400 day supply right now based on my consumption calculations.. I'd love to sell the herd and then sell the hay.

Check with your breed association for a local consignment sale. That type of auction will be much better than taking them to the sale barn.

What about some of your prior clients that you have sold calves to? Would they possibly be interested? Also what kind of money would you be expecting on the group? I might know someone that would be interested.

Circle H Ranch

I want 9k for the lot. I will give the buyer 20 bales of net wrap to go with the herd. I will prvide details if interested. Have vet records. All the stock has WHR bloodlines. WHR has an in herd use interest in the bull, but buyer gets full possesion.