What's the best time to cut black locust posts?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put up some new fence and can't stomach the thought of paying 23.00 for "pressure treated " end posts. My neighbor says I can cut some black locust for end posts but neither one of us can remember what time of year is best. One guy says the spring and one says the fall. Whats the easiest time of year to get the bark off?

Do a basla spray with diesel and Remedy. Wait a copule of weeks and cut them off. That kills the root and also makes them start shedding their bark because the whole tree dies.

Bark slips easily any time the sap is up. Say, now until October or so. Dun's method is good also if you have the time to wait. Also check out the prices for treated dimensional lumber at Lowes. 8' 4x4's were $6. I found 10' 6x6's at another place for $11 and some change. They were way cheaper than the round posts.

dun":19c6msf3 said:
Do a basla spray with diesel and Remedy. Wait a copule of weeks and cut them off. That kills the root and also makes them start shedding their bark because the whole tree dies.
What is basla spray? And Remedy is the herbicide - correct? I see alot of locust post with the bark on, do you have to peel the bark?

hayray":10rhp8o2 said:
dun":10rhp8o2 said:
What is basla spray? And Remedy is the herbicide - correct? I see alot of locust post with the bark on, do you have to peel the bark?

Oops, basal spray. Fingers work basakwards from my brain sometimes. Yes, Remedy is a herbicide (controlled).
The way the bark sloughs off I doubt that it needs to be removed, ma nature will take care of that.

Latest posts