What's the best milking breed of beef cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nope!

In fact I do not believe there is one. It is a genetic thing - breed for it and you can get it.

Cheers

Bez

I would say Braunveih, then Tarentaise, followed by Simmental.

I'm just guessing by looking at my "Across breed comparison chart"

I would have thought that the dairy breeds such as Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Holstein-Friesian, and Jersey would have been the best milkers.
:eek:

dcara":1fu24yst said:
I would have thought that the dairy breeds such as Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Holstein-Friesian, and Jersey would have been the best milkers.
:eek:

But the question was about beef breeds.

Not familiar with Tarantaise but from my experience I would say it's pretty much a toss up between Gelbvieh, Simmenthal and beef Brown Swiss (Braunvieh)

dun

El_Putzo":3cvvmg6w said:
I would say Braunveih, then Tarentaise, followed by Simmental.

I'm just guessing by looking at my "Across breed comparison chart"
Another creative and beneficial way to use epd's.

I disagree, but not entirely!

Of course there are differences even within the breed, but Angus and Red Angus aren't typically the "bottom of the milk barrel"

The Charolais, Chianina, and Limousin breed types tended to be high in growth rate/mature size, high in lean to fat ratio, older at puberty, and low in milk production.
Table 5. Characterization of Sire Breeds for Four Production Traits1
1.Breed Group
2.Growth Rate and Mature Size
3.Lean to Fat Ratio
4.Age at Puberty
5.Milk Production
====================================

1. --------- 2.-----------3.-----------4.----------5.
Herfangus-XXX--------XX----------XXX--------XX
Charolais--XXXXX-----XXXXX-----XXXX------X
Chianina---XXXXX-----XXXXX-----XXXX------X
Gelbvieh---XXXX------XXXX-------XX---------XXXX
Limousin---XXX--------XXXXX-----XXXX------X
Maine Anj--XXXXX----XXXX-------XXX--------XXX
Salers------XXXXX----XXXX-------XXX--------XXX
Shorthorn--XXX-------XX----------XXX--------XXX
Simmental-XXXXX----XXXX-------XXX--------XXXX

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-803/400-803.html#L2

I wonder if that is overall milk production or milk production in relation to the size of the cow. Both the Gelbvieh and Simmental are typically bigger breeds.

CKC1586":3b1r22x4 said:
In Europe the Piedmontese are used for both milk and beef....

Same way with the Maine-Anjou in France. Milk one cow and the next raises two calves. You just won't find better all around mamas than Maines.

I've always thought Simmentals were the best milkers.. more specifically the older bloodlines.. the original Swiss bred cows where known for their milking ability and their beef. They were "designed" to produce both.

Now with so much outside breed influence, I have to really watch the cows for milking ability. Years ago when I first got into Simmentals I never had to watch for it.

In Canada they used to say there was 6 or 7 strains of what we call Simmental in Europe . That was why a lot of people liked them because they had a lot of choice among strains.Some of these strains were used exclusively for dairy.

I really like the Fleckvieh bloodlines myself..

Medic24":2zv3532p said:
A bull of any breed in my opinion is definately at the very bottom as far as trying to get a bit of milk going............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll:

Sorry, but it's a bit of a story, we often host friends and family from all over,(non-farm folks) and we usually are asked for tours of the livestock areas, much more then one we have been asked how much milk we can get out of the bull vs. the cows... Yup they really do ask. Not ot mention chocolate milk from the brown cows etc.

Latest posts