Whats the best method for getting minerals in your cows

Help Support CattleToday:

hersh

Reaction score
Maybe shouldnt ask the 'best' method but what works for you all. I have loose out and a lick block and a salt block. Since I turned them loose on grass I stopped feeding grain, which I was mixing in loose mineral in with it prior to turning loose. They dont seem too interested now, just wanted to make sure I am doing everything I can to get the minerals to them. Should I take the salt block away?

Loose mineral 24/7, salt block only if there isn;t any in the minerals

It seems everything I have read says to use loose mineral or a mineral/salt or kelp/salt blend. The problem I see is that some animals will take to whatever dry mineral I put out and some won't touch the stuff at all. Maybe like kids and vegetables? Like kids and vegetables, the cattle NEED minerals which are lacking in many soils and locations.

I have had the best luck putting out barrels of "Mineralyx" when cattle are on pasture. Here is a link to the desription and data sheet of what is in it:

http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/minerallyx.cfm

http://www.crystalyx.com/beef/pdfs/Mineral-lyx.pdf

My neighbor recommended this particular product. If you look at what is in it there is a full range of many important minerals. I think things like a little bit of selenium or iodine can make a big difference in cattle health as they do in people. Iodized salt solved a major human health issue.

The barrels mix this in with some molasses base so they ALL get their minerals. Sort of like making kids vitamins taste good. Loose dry minerals also get wet and cakey. These barrels take some rain and then they go lick it up, no waste.

They cost more than loose mineral but I think you get much more benefit and no waste.

I also leave the salt block out by the waterer even when they are on grass.

Change brands of mineral, one brand of mineral that is used by alot people around here my cows won't touch. I use Vita Ferm and it seems to work pretty good, i am not telling you to buy vita ferm just to try some diffrent brands to find one they like.

We have mixed a little cotton seed meal with the mineral. They plow right through it then. Of course CSM is high as a kite.

Farmgirl

If at least a portion of the herd is eating the mineral then there shouldn't be a problem with palatability. Some cows need the mineral...others don't. No need to force feed mineral to cattle that don't need it so I wouldn't be adding it to feed or adding something to it to make it taste better. Let the cattle decide.

TexasBred":20pw87ek said:
If at least a portion of the herd is eating the mineral then there shouldn't be a problem with palatability.

Not always true. Some cows just don;t like the tatse of some minerals. We fed the right time or whatever ity's called and only about half of the cows wopuld touch the stuff. Went back to Vigertone and they're all eating it.

Farmgirl":17dpcob8 said:
We have mixed a little cotton seed meal with the mineral. They plow right through it then. Of course CSM is high as a kite.

Farmgirl

Even if a lot of supplemental feeding does not pencil out - - there can be a decent return from giving them a pound of grain per day to make sure every one gets their ionospore ect. and to take a close look at everyone. So I usually have loose mineral in remote pastures and I bucket feed mineral with a little grain when they rotate into convenient pastures.

dun":xz0i9kpk said:
TexasBred":xz0i9kpk said:
If at least a portion of the herd is eating the mineral then there shouldn't be a problem with palatability.

Not always true. Some cows just don;t like the tatse of some minerals. We fed the right time or whatever ity's called and only about half of the cows wopuld touch the stuff. Went back to Vigertone and they're all eating it.

That's possible as well....but did they need it or did it have so much "non mineral additives for palatability" included in the formula that the cattle just couldn't resist it? You never know :!:

I have never had a problem with getting my cows to eat mineral. We feed Vigortone loose mineral 24/7, but have also fed Vita Ferm as well as mineral from some local feed mills while awaiting the order from Vigortone. Have had instances where overcunsumption (sp?) is a problem. This usually happens in late summer, and again in late fall through winter. Usually just when quality of forages is lower than lush grass. In these cases, I have set out some salt blocks in addition to the mineral, and that seems to help with the overconsumption. The cattle still use the mineral, but also use the salt licks. Seems maybe they eat the mineral to get salt??? Salt licks tend to moderate cunsumption in my experiences.

bandit80":bkl5v56m said:
I have never had a problem with getting my cows to eat mineral. We feed Vigortone loose mineral 24/7, but have also fed Vita Ferm as well as mineral from some local feed mills while awaiting the order from Vigortone. Have had instances where overcunsumption (sp?) is a problem. This usually happens in late summer, and again in late fall through winter. Usually just when quality of forages is lower than lush grass. In these cases, I have set out some salt blocks in addition to the mineral, and that seems to help with the overconsumption. The cattle still use the mineral, but also use the salt licks. Seems maybe they eat the mineral to get salt??? Salt licks tend to moderate cunsumption in my experiences.

Very true....I try to keeps salt out as well but use loose salt rather than the blocks. Cow can lick it about 2 or 3 times and walk off.

Loose mineral + trace mineral salt 24/7, and I don't sweat it too much if the mineral runs out occasionally.

When I fed mineral only I had some strange losses to "staggers" (my name for it). Mommas got down and couldn't get up even though they tried hard and looked alert. Never had it previously when I only fed trace mineral salt. Haven't had it since I switched from only minerals to minerals+salt.

Latest posts