What's so good?

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
I get this beef feed at the co-op. "13% coarse" is what it's called. It has cotton seed hulls, cracked corn and a pellet of some sort. I expect the 500lb ers to like it but the baby calves love the stuff. Its cheap and everything wants to eat it. I keep the weaned babies away from it but they will walk away from the sweet calf starter to get it if there is any left in the bunk feeders. What is the appeal to cattle of cotton seed hulls.

Sounds to me like you need to get rid of the starter and feed only it. If the small ones like it that much and it's cheaper why keep feeding the sweet feed.

since all your calves like that 13% feed. then id just feed to all the calves. after all they know what they like. scott

I buy from TN. farmers Co-op as well, and I am very familiar with that mix... the pellet you are talking about is corn glutten, thus the desire for it so much.....it is sour tasting to us, but apparently a very sweet taste to the cattle.

The feed sales rep. had us try it last fall after they discontinued so many other mixes, and we were left with that. We liked it, but were not overly excited about it. We were not sure if it was considered a 'complete' feed or not. :cboy:

Medic24":b5eglu9k said:
I buy from TN. farmers Co-op as well, and I am very familiar with that mix... the pellet you are talking about is corn glutten, thus the desire for it so much.....it is sour tasting to us, but apparently a very sweet taste to the cattle.

The feed sales rep. had us try it last fall after they discontinued so many other mixes, and we were left with that. We liked it, but were not overly excited about it. We were not sure if it was considered a 'complete' feed or not. :cboy:

Corn gluten pellets have protein,fat,and fiber....thats it.You might want to round it out with something else that has the vitamins and such in it.We have one here the local feed meal calls "Bull & calf" feed.It also has corn gluten in it to boost the protein. The cattle all love it. Come to think of it, I have not found anything they won't eat,especially now that the pastures are in such bad shape from the drought.If you feed much of it,make sure they have hay or some green stuff to eat along with it.;-) :cboy:

Latest posts