What's reasonable?

Help Support CattleToday:

Being AI'd to a calving ease sire doesnt always give you a small calf. Calving ease has little to do with birth wt. Enviroment and gestation length on the other hand does. EPD's are not always the "golden rule" either. They give you some idea what to expect but cant be the only thing that makes your decision on your matings. As for getting your money back, that depends on the terms in which she was bought. They may not have to give you anything. They may contend since you were showing her and travelled to Denver,Alabama, and then to Texas, that you are responsible for her problems. ie. feeding too much, stress in travel etc. I know first hand. It's been done to us,where we have bought a virgin show heifer and she turned to be a non-breeder. The outfit out of Iowa would not make good on her. She went to slaughter.

Most sale terms will tell you that the seller owes you the selling price and one-way hauling costs.

jbar5":n5y1jof6 said:
Being AI'd to a calving ease sire doesnt always give you a small calf. Calving ease has little to do with birth wt. Enviroment and gestation length on the other hand does. EPD's are not always the "golden rule" either. They give you some idea what to expect but cant be the only thing that makes your decision on your matings. As for getting your money back, that depends on the terms in which she was bought. They may not have to give you anything. They may contend since you were showing her and travelled to Denver,Alabama, and then to Texas, that you are responsible for her problems. ie. feeding too much, stress in travel etc. I know first hand. It's been done to us,where we have bought a virgin show heifer and she turned to be a non-breeder. The outfit out of Iowa would not make good on her. She went to slaughter.

Maybe we are all missing the point but I think you are. The way I understand this is: She bought a heifer, DNA tested and then discovered that she was not who the breeder or the reg papers represented her as. This is very possibly a mistake. Yet it is one that the breeder should make right. And one that in most breed organaizations brings up a bunch of red flags concerning the breeder. As far as I am concerned the parts about showing, EPD's, C section etc.. are not central to the discussion. Legally or ethically speaking

I think I would cut my losses and settle with the breeder. It was most likely an honest mistake on his part. If he is reputable he will make it right. Livestock has always been a gamble. Any time you go to a lawyer your asking for a fight. Lawyers get rich by helping create a good fight. JMO, Good luck. Tom :cboy: